After the social media grateful week challenge the prophet encouraged us all to roll over into participating in Light the World and to continue to use social media as a source for good. Now, I post pictures of my kids on instagram for grandparents and such, but I don’t often post much else. I decided I would post our Light the World efforts each day and encouraged others to participate as well. We have some cute new neighbors that moved in (the Smiths) and Kelly works for Volunteers of America she told me they are always in dire need of hygiene kits and hats and gloves and such. So for our very first Light the World act each of us put together a hygiene kit and donated a hat and pair of gloves from each of us.
We walked them down to Kelly to take to work and her husband was so sweet and met us at the door and told the kids all about how Kelly gives those to kids their age every day and how much they would appreciate them. We watched the Christ Child video as a family and talked about our favorite parts and the parts that bring us hope. We printed off Christmas scriptures and messages of love and taped them to a neighbor’s door one night.
I sent a book on CD out to my Uncs who is not doing to well and trying to get over COVID in a nursing home and highlighted some of my favorite things about him on social media. I researched and learned a cool story about one of my ancestors who was a Russian Jew fleeing persecution and left his pregnant wife and son to come to America and set up a safer life for his family to join him but not until 10 years later.
We donated food to the food shelter.
I set up a window caroling opportunity for the kids in the neighborhood to sing Christmas carols outside the windows of the Bel Air nursing home in our neighborhood. And we did several other activities thinking about and highlighting people we love and who are great examples to us and several other activities that helped us to focus and act more like our Savior Jesus Christ. It was a great way to bring the true spirit of Christmas into our home this December.
No comments:
Post a Comment