The week before Thanksgiving the prophet addressed us and encouraged us to post something on social media that we a thankful for each day of the week leading up to Thanksgiving. I'm not one to post much on social media except for cute pics of the kids for the family, but I must say that participating in this exercise was so great. It came at a time when everyone was so doom and gloom about COVID and politics and there were so many in your face posts trying to pull people one way or another or belittle people's views on a certain subject and all the sudden the whole theme of my social media stream changed to gratefulness. It was wonderful. The suggestion of one inspired man made a huge difference. Things I was grateful for: My Dad and Lynn for coming out to the boys' baptism, the boys baptism and people being able to zoom in from all over, the YW I get to teach and work with, my career as a PA, Chase and his influence on my kids as a missionary, great neighbors, family, and my Savior. Mona Merz invited the kids over on their day off from school to decorate cupcakes like turkeys. They thought that was fun.
Thanksgiving Eve the kids begged to go to dinner at Teppanyaki. Liv got the boys excited about it, so we convinced Derek. We had so much fun watching the chefs cook before us. Our chef threw shrimp at us for us to catch in our open mouths. The kids were horrible at this, but it was hilarious to watch. We had so much fun, we decided maybe we needed to make this a yearly Thanksgiving Eve tradition.
Liv made her hair look like a turkey for Thanksgiving. That girl is getting so good at doing her own hair. I hardly ever have to do anything anymore. She watched youtube videos and teaches herself.
We spent Thanksgiving dinner eating at Derek's parents house with just Steph, Jon, Tanner, Karalee, Blake and Kiera and Tyson. We wore masks to keep Steve and Diane safe and each family sat at a different table spaced away from each other. It was a smaller group than the big crowd with all the cousins down in Payson and I loved it. I got to cook pies, and rolls, and green beans, and cranberry sauce.
I loved getting to cook multiple food items. It made it actually feel like Thanksgiving. My kids helped and I told them about all the people that I got various recipes from.
Steph gave all the kids their belated birthday presents. She gave Liv a brownie pan and a few recipes. She gave the boys these travel games and this paper football helmets.
Then, all the kids went outside with Derek, Jon, and Tanner and played football for a bit. It was freezing and they were terrible, but they had fun. After spending some time with Steve and Diane then because the kids were not having the idea of not going down to "Thanksgiving Point" as they term the cousins' house in Payson we went down. I was the only one who wore a mask there. Kids had a blast running with cousins and playing games for the rest of the day.

No comments:
Post a Comment