Monday, April 20, 2020

Corona Quarantine Week 6

Home School Week 5/ Day 21: The boys wrote these super neat Acrostic poems about Spring today. 


I think Camden's is actually pretty nice. Carter tried to 100% copy Camden...so it took a while to come up with his own original piece. And you can see all the eraser marks--previously his poem read almost identical to Camden's, but I told Carter that would not do. I burst into tears (well multiple times today) but once today because the boys had to watch their teacher presenting a unit about how various individuals in the community help. I didn't watch it with them, but I guess at the end their teacher asked them who had been helping them at home with their school work and reminded them to say Thank you. Camden came and found me after and gave me the hugest hug and said, "Thanks for helping me with my school work Mom!" (Started sobbing). Especially since I had felt like sobbing already all day because that same kid would not just sit down and focus and get stuff done! Thank you 100x over Mrs. Ficklin! It was so nice to be thanked! Liv...she played all her violin songs for me today and sang me all her vocal pieces. It was nice to be serenaded. And now she has been down stairs doing dance classes via zoom for the last 3 hours.  The boys found a few more places on the neighborhood scavenger hunt.


Home school Day 22: Liv had a violin lesson this morning. Much thanks to @karlabowles front lawn for babysitting my boys during that. 
The boys had the best homework assignment so far. They had to learn about play writing for their music/theater class and had to watch a Kid Theater video clip from the Jimmy Fallon show with Tom Hanks. So funny! Wish all the assignments were that entertaining. Our homework day got totally side tracked when we found out nephew/cousin had received his mission call, and was going to be reading it on his front lawn at 3pm. PS HS seniors who haven't seen each other for weeks have no clue how to social distance. 
Best part of the day for sure! 

Also, Chase (this same nephew) had plans to spend the night at our place tonight. We decided with a call to Italy we better celebrate with Olive Garden...that's authentic Italian right?

Homeschool Day 23: Chase spent half the day with us. He and Liv played Heart and Soul and then all the kids tried to teach him how to play the piano. He took all the kids on a jeep ride. 

Then, shortly after that I sprained my ankle bad!!! I'm seriously bummed because moving outside is the thing that keeps me sane, and I can hardly walk. Who needs sanity anyways? But while I was mourning the loss of my limb in my bedroom, without even asking the kids brought me ice, and crutches, and snacks, and Liv put on some relaxing disney piano music and Carter brought a game to play. Even the dog came to keep me company. Worst day yet for school work...I guess walking helps accomplish that. We just finished at almost 8pm! Camden and Carter finished their animals reports!!!! So glad to be done with these suckers. They have taken soooo much time. Got a little video of Carter reading his report.

Home school Day 24 (2 weeks 3 days left! But who's counting?): I got woken up by the boys asking me to play Phonics BINGO this morning, so that was awesome in my bed first thing. 

I love listening to this fiddle song Liv is learning. The simple things are super fun these days...the boys spent forever running in the sprinklers instead of doing homework. For PE, the boys pretended to be dogs, and I gave them commands to follow, and they got a treat after. The boys' math page was hard today...how many faces, edges and vertices of hexagonal prisms?!!! Good grief!

Homeschool Day 25 (2 weeks and 2 days to go!): Best day yet! Uncle John invited us to go camping with them in Gobblin Valley this weekend. Derek had to work late and we had plans to put the garden in tonight, so we told them we would leave tomorrow am, but Jon offered to bring the kids with them! So I told the kids if they finished their chores and practicing and schoolwork by 2 pm they could ride down with Uncle Jon. If not, they had to stay home and go with us tomorrow. They all zipped through everything faster than I knew they were capable of. 

And then for our date night, Derek and I (well really just Derek) planted the garden and I picked up Outback takeout for us. 

No kids called for something fancier than norm.

No comments: