I was scheduled to be on call at the hospital for my surgery job this year for Mother's Day weekend. I asked Derek if he thought I should ask to switch weekends, but he said to keep it...maybe the would decide to go easy on me. Friday morning, Olivia woke me up and said, "Mom, are you off work today?" I said yes and then she said, "ok then I'm bringing you breakfast in bed! What do you want? Sushi?" I told her sushi didn't sound particularly appetizing to me at 7am in the morning, so she brought me a little orange and glass of water instead. Then, Carter decided he wanted to bring me breakfast in bed too and rounded out the meal with Pistachios and Pringles.

The boys made me these adorable red oven mitts with their painted handprint on them. Carter excitedly gave me his in the car as soon as I picked him up from preschool. Camden got so upset at him for ruining the Mother's Day surprise and pouted and turned his head towards the window the entire drive home. Olivia made me this cute little painted drink coaster and a little note that said "My favorite thing about me you is that you always help me and you are kind to me." And "Thank you for always cooking a lovely dinner." Derek brought home a nice bouquet of flowers and bought me a nice new bread knife because I had somehow misplaced my old one. Honestly, I loved all the Mother's Day gifts this year, and think I may actually use them!

Saturday morning, I was on call with Dr. Gill and he sent me home at 8:30 am and never called me back. Way too easy on me, but he said he wanted me to have a nice mother's day weekend--which I did. I caught two soccer games that I didn't think I would and Derek and I cleaned and organized the whole whole office. We went through all our file folders purging and organizing and then put all the nearly organized files into our new filing cabinet.
Sunday, I worked a little more but it wasn't too terrible. I did miss the family Mother's Day breakfast, and I missed church and kids singing their Mother's Day song. But, I was home by 2pm, and got to snuggle and watch a movie with the boys.

Then, Derek BBQed for dinner, and we took a family walk up the canyon to bridal veil falls. The kids were all getting along so nicely and seemed to really love the nature walk.




I took one picture of all three kids holding hands walking up the canyon and at that that moment I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the opportunity to be their Mom. So overall, it was a great Mother's Day weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment