Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Babi and Papou Come for the Kids Let's Play Music Recital

My Mom told me that they were wanting to come up and catch one of Olivia's performances, and I suggested she come up for her Let's play music recital because the boys were be performing their music stuff at the same recital, so they could be there to support all 3.  So they made arrangements, and arrived on Wednesday afternoon just in time for dinner.  The weather had been so lovely that I felt like BBQing.  I smoked some jerk chicken on the grill and I thought it turned out pretty good.  It didn't take George long to get to work on my house.  He fixed my burned out dimmer switch and lights that wouldn't turn on downstairs, he spent two hours cleaning out my drier (with only the slightest suggestion that maybe I wash too much laundry), he vacuumed all the dust from my air vent, scrubbed my kitchen table and stair rails, and fixed all the broken window valences in my kitchen.  He's the best and told me it was all a Mother's Day gift.

Mom invited her friend, Allison Dalton, who plays violin for the Chicago symphony over Wednesday evening to play for Liv and Liv played her piano composition and the violin pieces she is working on for her.  It was a neat little experience that Liv seemed to enjoy.

Thursday morning, Mom and I took the boys up to IKEA and let them play in the free play place there while we bought a few things (a new filing cabinet for me and a bunch of bins to organize the legos downstairs).  That afternoon was the Let's Play music recital.  The boy were adorable singing and playing their bells.  Camden had the whole place cracking up during the Magic Lamp puppet show.  He had the fiercest expression when the genie arrived and then wiped his cute little hand across his forehead in a PHEW when the genie left.

Liv did great singing and playing her composition piece.  It's weird to think that she graduated from Let's Play Music and won't see Miss Alissa next year, but we are excited to see what the Bridge Program is like. I have been so impressed with Let's Play Music and the musical baseline it had given Olivia.  That little girl composed her own piano piece, can transpose music to different keys, has learned pitch matching and audiation, knows all the notes on the staff and how to count rhythms.  It really is an incredible and fun program.

After the recital, Derek and George ran a soccer practice for the boys soccer team since their coach was out of town and Liv, Mom and I went to get pedicures as my mother's day gift to my Mom.  Friday morning, Mom and I dropped the boys off at school then went to Lily's to visit with Lily and Georgia which was lovely.  Then, we picked up the boys and then we checked Olivia out for lunch.  She convinced Babi that since they were planning to head home when she was still at school, we should pick her up and take her to lunch with us so that she could spend some more time with Babi before she left.  That seemed reasonable to me, so we picked her up and all had lunch at Magleby's Fresh.  Then, we took Liv back to school and Babi and Papou headed back to St. George.  It was so nice to have them and I know the kids were excited they could come see their music recital.

No comments: