Thursday, August 10, 2017

Summer Art Group

This is the 3rd summer running of the neighborhood art group I organized.  This year the group was bigger than ever, but we had a great time.  We started off making Chia friends out of old bottles.  The kids loved watering them and being rewarded with green sprouts of hair a few days later.  
Next the kids made these cute little jelly fish out of paper plates and pipe cleaners.  

Then they made homemade spinner toys with cardboard circles and yarn.  The kids loved the rock painting activity and painted a majority of the rocks that now decorate our garage steps.  
The next week was scratchers--black paper cut into various shapes that when scraped with a pokey stick revealed hidden colors behind.  Once again I fear my kids hogged the bulk of the scratcher shapes.  The week Julie Riley hosted she had prepared bread dough ahead of time and had the kids shake them in bags of cinnamon and sugar and then she labeled each muffin tin cup with each kids name and baked up their own individual monkey breads.  The kids were so excited and anxious to eat them.  
I had the last week and we made window sun catchers.  It worked out to be a good little activity for the kids.  I had cut up squares of contact paper and little tissue paper square in various colors.  They stuck them on the contact paper and cut into whatever desired shape they wanted.  These have been hanging in our kitchen window for weeks.  I do not want to take them down.

No comments: