Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar Eclipse

Everyone around her got super excited about the full solar eclipse that was supposed to happen this year.  I had actually planned to go up to Idaho Falls and stay with the Dixons because up there you were supposed to get a 100% eclipse where it got dark and the stars came out and everything.  However, as it got closer they kept talking about how bad traffic was going to be and how gas stations may run out of gas and grocery stores out of food and cell service be unavailable.  And while I never believed it would be as bad as they said, I didn't feel like taking a chance alone with the kids in the car.  Overall, I heard it wasn't so bad except for the traffic coming back the 3 hour drive took everyone closer to 9 or 10 hours.  The special glasses to wear got sold out everywhere.  You could not find them anywhere come the week of the eclipse.  Derek somehow scored 6 pair through his work, so come eclipse time we had all of the family and all the neighborhood kids hanging out in our backyard passing glasses back and forth to get a look.



Eclipse day also happened to be the boys first day of preschool.  They came home all excited about the eclipse and had made little paper eclipses with a white circle and black circle held together with one of those paper fastener pins.  They walked around showing everyone how the eclipse happens with their little paper circles.  It was of course over lunch time that the full eclipse was scheduled to take place and Camden kept screaming at me how hungry he was and he couldn't wait.  So, I spent most of the eclipse grilling up quesadillas for the large crowd.  Whatever, as long as it was an event where all the family and neighborhood kids and my kids can say, "I remember the last eclipse..." I will be happy.

No comments: