Saturday, June 11, 2016

Summer Fest

This weekend we went to summer fest.  I swore left and right that I had no intention of chasing the kids around there and standing in line and doing rides, but I got pulled in somehow.  Derek did the Rotary traditional pancake breakfast.  We went at about 9:30 am which I decided was the best idea ever.  We ran into both the Thorsteds and the Davis family and they were able to help me make and carry all my kids food.

Just as we were finishing breakfast...the guy running the big slide (which is Liv's favorite summer fest attraction) had just waxed the slide and needed a few people to slide down to rub the wax in.  So, all my kids got to ride for free.  Tyler Thorsted was kind enough take my boys down.  Then, we saw Kassie Vought from our ward who has face painting skills had set up a both, so I let each of the kids get their faces painted.


Then, it was 10 am and the carnival opened and Derek was still cleaning up breakfast, and I noticed that there were absolutely no lines at all, so I decided to buy some tickets and let the kids ride a few rides while Derek finished cleaning.  Well, before I knew it, we had riden 5 rides, used all the tickets, and Derek was just finishing.  So, I did summer fest with the kids by myself with my bum knee and one crutch.


But then my knee killed and I was exhausted.   So, we brought everyone home and I got the kids to go downstairs to watch a movie for rest time.  I told the kids if they took a nap they could stay up and watch the fireworks later that night.  Both boys slept, Liv did not.

We had the Riley family over for a BBQ dinner.  Afterwards, we all worked together to thin our fruit trees. Then, we lit the fire pit and made s'mores.  Then baths for everyone to get the camp fire smell off of us.  At this point is was 9:30 and all the kids were acting fairly exhausted so we tried to put them to bed.  Liv fell asleep within minutes and the boys were probably almost asleep when the loud sounds of fireworks began outside their window.  They both groggily came out of their room in the jammies rubbing their eyes and asking what that noise was.  I grabbed them by the hand and said, "Let's go see."  So me and the boys sat on the curb in front of our house and watched the fireworks light up the sky.  I feel bad that Liv missed it, but she didn't take a nap (and there is always the 4th of July).

No comments: