Liv was more bored than I anticipated on the airplane flights and kept constantly asking if we were there yet and how much longer. I chuckled to myself when I looked over and caught her playing with her ice just like this. It brought back a memory of flying with my younger brother Mitchell and him doing the same thing (a game which he entitled "roast the chicken").
I got to meet most of my Mom's cousins and they all told me stories about my grandparents I had never met which was neat. Sounds like my Grandmother (or Aunt Helen as they all referred to her as) was the favorite Aunt. So kind, never raised her voice, and she was the best cook who seemed to be able to whip up anything with whatever was in the fridge at the drop of a hat. My Mom's cousin Pam loved Aunt Helen because as child she had severe asthma and every other mother was too afraid to have her at their house, but not Aunt Helen she would let her play and even have sleep overs. My Grandfather sounds like a character. He loved music and he and his brothers were always playing banjos and such together. They all loved to play pranks and swapped stories about times when they would sneak into the horse races and such. It seems like all the boy cousins were kind of afraid to cross my Grandfather, but the girls all had different recollection and thought he was sweet to them and that he adored his wife Helen. It was a lot of visiting with old people and hearing family stories which at times was boring for Liv, but she did pretty well, and we did some other fun things to make up for that.
She loved the wedding. She literally danced the entire time the band was playing. Never took a break except very briefly to eat a few bites of dinner. The band loved her as their most adoring fan and let her sing a few lines into the microphone. She had more energy than all of us. Benazir danced with her, then Nathan, George, Babi, Me and after she had tired all of us out she just danced with all the rest of the wedding attendees that she didn't know. They had this really cute photo booth that she also enjoyed.
They would print two copies of the picture strip, one for you and one to glue into a book for Scott and Auguste. Benazir also snapped this cute pic of Liv.
Liv displayed her typical infatuation with brides and attached herself to Auguste whenever possible. At the wedding she kept giving her flowers and over the weekend as we hung with them she was always sitting on her lap or holding her hand. I hope Benazir didn't feel replaced as Liv's most recent bride infatuation.
Liv displayed her typical infatuation with brides and attached herself to Auguste whenever possible. At the wedding she kept giving her flowers and over the weekend as we hung with them she was always sitting on her lap or holding her hand. I hope Benazir didn't feel replaced as Liv's most recent bride infatuation.
Saturday morning after the wedding while most of the wedding party was hung over and recovering from the night before, Babi, Papou, Liv and I woke up early and drove out to cast lake. My Mom's family owns property on the lake. I remember going there as a kid and that it was shallow for a long long way which is perfect for kids to play. Liv loved this.
Babi, Liv and I swam and made some sand castles on the banks while George watched some soccer games on his phone. There was a cute little duck family that came right up to us. The water was so clean and I decided that outside of Detroit, Michigan is really a beautiful state covered in beautiful blue lakes that have gorgeous houses built around them.
That evening we all took the People Mover to Greektown for dinner with Scott, Craig, Auguste and Aunt Jan. George ordered for us all which was fun, but overall Mom and George felt Detroit greek food just couldn't compare with that in Chicago. Then, we all ordered pastries from a little pastry shop a few doors down and walked back to the hotel. I would have to say that of all the places I have traveled (New York, Chicago, out of the country) the most unsafe I have ever felt was walking in down town Detroit at night. Perhaps traveling alone with my daughter played into that. For one, as caucasians, we were definitely the minority. We counted about a dozen police cars driving down the street on our walk back. Policemen were stationed on every corner and I heard numerous people we passed talking about the guns they were carrying on them at the moment. It probably didn't help that early that day Scott had been telling us about his high school and how he had witnessed rape, overdose, gang fights or something along those lines on almost a daily basis. Definitely made me feel like we don't have it all too bad out here in Utah.
Sunday morning, Nay and Benazir flew out early. Mom and George got up and took them to the airport, and Liv and I miraculously slept in. We had just enough time to order some room service for breakfast before we had to check out. Liv was so excited that they had Eggs Benedict!
Our hotel room had the greatest view of the river and Canada across the way. After we checked out, we drove across the bridge of the Detroit River, to Windsor Canada. I sang O Canada with Liv as we crossed the bride (still remember most of it from elementary school when we lived there). We met my childhood friend Sara Mullen's Mom at Tim Hortons and ordered a box of TimBits and hot chocolate so Liv could experience something Canadian.


Then, because Canada Day was coming up they had a little fair going on with rides near the river. Canada knows how to party! They had free pony rides, some real fun rides, and even some princesses dressed up and walking around.
The view from across the river of our hotel was beautiful.
Mom and George visited with Colleen and her boyfriend while Liv and I played some games and rode the rides.
She won two stuffed animals that she has slept with every night since. When we got in the car to cross back into the USA, Liv realized she had left her kitty in the bed at the hotel which resulted in a dramatic episode of tears. Luckily, we stopped at the hotel on the way to the airport and convinced a bellhop to let us in and were able to recover the beloved kitty from the room.
On the flight home the stewardess asked if Liv would like to see the cockpit. I waited for her and gave the stewardess my camera. Liv came back and told me she got to sit in the pilot seat and when I looked at the photo I was shocked to see that indeed the pilot had given up his seat and let her take the wheel. Not sure if she realizes what a novelty that is in this post September 11th world.












No comments:
Post a Comment