Sunday, March 11, 2012

21

Well if you haven't been following along thus far, you may be thinking blackjack especially since D and I just went to a casino themed birthday party on Friday night. It was super fun and great to hang out with everyone. I found myself at the craps table most of the night, but did play a few rounds of black jack. It was not my lucky night. Good thing we weren't playing with real money. The dress attire was black tie, and D and I did not disappoint although I didn't get a great picture.But the real news it that they extracted 21 eggs from me this am. (Last time only 16, so I'll take that as great news). I was there at 7:15 am on daylights savings day Sunday. I woke up from anesthesia of course a little loopy and lightheaded. I had a nurse and D escort me out to the car, and if they hadn't I'm sure I would have fallen. I came home, more escorting (I could get used to this), ate some breakfast, and took a 2 hour nap. When my dreams started to get stressful and weird, I woke up. I'm feeling better. Still a little lightheaded, and my belly is a little crampy and sore, but not bad. Definitely not going to be doing anything too crazy today. They say they will call me tomorrow to let me know how many of those 21 eggs actually fertilized. After my procedure, they mentioned a 5 day transfer, but I don't think they are 100% sure yet. Until then--hope for lots of fertilized eggs and that they grow so well in those little petri dishes so that maybe we can freeze some!

Oh--one scientific little tidbit just cuz I think it's cool. Before surgery, I was asking the embryologist just what they put in those petri dishes to keep my little eggs alive. He said it's a protein and glucose solution and they have to monitor it and sometimes add more or less of either. But, he said basically they are trying to mimic the environment of the fallopian tube. They try to keep it exactly the same, temp, pH, etc so those little eggs just think they are floating in my fallopian tube. Seriously, this whole procedure is just the neatest thing (if you can get past how much it costs and the fact that it may not result in a baby--but we're thinking positive here--a baby is in our future!)

5 comments:

Kara said...

Wow, isn't science amazing! Good luck and rest up, as much as possible with a toddler! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sarah said...

Happy for your good news. Hope you are doing okay!! We will keep you guys in our prayers so that you can welcome Olivia a little sibling in nine months!!!

emily+brett said...

still can't believe you had 21!!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Fingers crossed!

Heather said...

So good to hear!! I really hope you get to freeze some! Or maybe you will get twins this next time?! :)
Can't wait to hear more news after the phone call.