
Well, the embryologist Dr. Richards just called me to inform me that 12/21 eggs fertilized. He said that was great! I personally felt like my egg store just got cut in half, and I freaked out a little. But truthfully it's all about quality not quantity. Last time we only had 11 fertilized eggs, and it wasn't long before a few more died off leaving us with only 7 and not the best quality, but we got pregnant! Derek keeps reminding me that all we need is one really good egg and there is bound to be that in all of those 12 eggs. And of course of the eggs they harvest there are always some that aren't viable to begin with. The ones that didn't fertilize were not the eggs that were gonna result in a baby anyways, so it's okay. We have 12 potentially good eggs which is one more than last time, and we got Olivia! (Trying to stay positive and not freak out).
Still not 100% sure about a 5-day or 3-day transfer. The story is that when you get pregnant the normal way a fertilized egg hangs in the fallopian tube for 5 days before making it's way down to the uterus. Thus, a 5-day transfer mimics the more natural sequence and you have a higher chance of pregnancy (uterus more prepared to receive egg, egg more developed). However, on the flip side, eggs obviously grow better inside the body than outside. So sometimes it is better to put them in after 3 days rather than wait 5 days. So, as of now the plan is to try to wait for a 5 day transfer however if the eggs don't seem like they are going to continue to develop much more at 3 days, then they will put them in then.
Last time we got pregnant on a 3-day transfer with not very good eggs. Of course my crazy mind is running. I want the 5 day to increase pregnancy, but then worry the eggs aren't as good. I want the 3 day because it worked last time, but really want the 5 day because of the better chance at pregnancy. Ugh! I just trust the doctors know what they are doing and will make the best choice and hope that I don't have a heart attack in the mean time.
So, on Wednesday the embryologist is going to call me to tell me how things are looking and whether I need to come in that day or Friday. And, whenever they do decide--I will be on bed rest for two days. It would be nice to have a little better heads up than day of, but we will make this work. Divide little eggs, grow little eggs!
1 comment:
I admire your strength!! Im glad you are sharing because there are so many who deal with infertility privately. Im not sure why but to me its so much easier to deal with when im open about it!! I loved your counter meds/ shot pic. Lol I too hv a pic like that and could pick out those familiar love/hate relationship drugs!! Hang in there!! Yall are in our prayers.
Post a Comment