Saturday, May 2, 2009

Swine flu

I thought the whole swine flu scare was a bit ridiculous. I mean it is just the flu. People die from the flu every year. Not sure why this one is making it so big in the news. However, when one of our patients came in to the clinic with the swine flu, I got just a little more apprehensive.

She was a girl in her mid 20s. Just flew in from Mexico. Had heard nothing of the swine flu down there because all the news was in Spanish. All she knew was that she was pretty sick. She flew home on an airplane, and when she got off was handed an information sheet about the swine flu and was told to check in with her doctor if she started to exhibit any of the symptoms.

She read the sheet and realized she had all of the symptoms of this "swine flu". She came into our clinic with a fever of 103.5, coughing like crazy, severe body ache, vomiting, diarrhea. She was sent to the hospital to be tested for influenza A which came back positive. And, they have sent her culture up to the state to be verified for swine flu. I think most likely it will come back positive. She has been quarantined to her grandparent's basement until she is better and is being treated with antiviral medications.

Our clinic now has a set protocol for swine flu patients. An entire exam room is dedicated to only swine flu patients. And, we are all disinfecting and washing our hands like crazy.

Nonetheless, may I go on a little rant about the swine flu? I'm sort of bugged at the news for making it such a big deal. Like I said before, people die of the flu every year. In fact, every year in the United States, on average 5% to 20% of the population gets the flu; more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu complications, and; about 36,000 people DIE from flu-related causes. And, that is in the United States!!! Under developed countries (such as Mexico) have a much higher death toll.

When people get the flu, the actual influenza, they get super sick. It is similar to the common cold, but way worse and usually lasts longer. High fevers, SEVERE body ache, cough, sore throat, nausea, vomiting. And, it can lead to a host of other related complications like pneumonia and so on. Why do you think we vaccinate against the flu? Especially in young children, elderly, pregnant individuals, and people with already weakened immune systems. Because it could kill them.

Anyways, yes the symptoms of the swine flu may be severe (just like any flu). Yes, the swine flu may be very contagious (just like any flu). It is spread through direct contact (kissing), through the air when someone coughs or sneezes droplets and someone else breaths in those droplets, and through hand-mouth contact (cough into your hand, then shake hands, then touch mouth with hand). And yes, you could die from swine flu (just like any flu).

What can be done to prevent yourself from getting swine flu? Wash your hands, get at least 7 hours of sleep each night, get some aerobic exercise daily, take vitamin D (in high dose 2000 U), and zinc. What can be done to prevent the spread of swine flu? Wash your hands, cover your cough, don't go to public places when you are sick.

So, in conclusion, the swine flu is just the flu. And, yes the flu can be a serious illness. And, yes people get sick and die from the flu. But, just wash your hands and avoid being around people who are sick and most likely the swine flu will be nothing for you to worry about.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I know, right!!! Tim and I feel the exact same way. I also heard on the news that the people who freak out and worry and stress about it, are more likely to get it. Well said chels.

Ilene said...

Thank you for this. I keep asking myself why people are going crazy over this latest flu virus. I guess the bird flu epidemic has died down and so now we need another animal flu to fill the news. Poor pigs getting yet another notch added to their dirty reputation.

Emily said...

Chels you crack me up. And that picture is disgusting.

Anyway, I hear ya...enough about the swine flu already! The flu sucks period, no matter what animal-related type you may have.

Lex-a-roo said...

We've been inundated with swine flu worriers as well. But no cases right now. You must be feeling better? I guess we just have to wait and see about the flu stuff.

Ryan and Erin said...

:) Risk = Hazard + Outrage

Mary said...

Ha! I thought everyone was overly hyped, but glad to hear your perspective . . . and could you have posted a better picture?! Loved it!