Thursday, May 28, 2009

Alive and Well

As well as can be expected after surgery this morning. For those of you who don't know, about a month ago Derek tore a ligament in his wrist playing "semi-contact" flag football. Went up to block a ball and came down on his wrist. He of course finished blocking the game with his hurt wrist. And even though it hurt pretty good, he managed to play golf and didn't miss his softball game that week either. In fact, he was playing in his softball game the day before his MRI which gave us the news that he had torn the main ligament of his wrist causing all the bones of his wrist to shift position, and he would need surgery to correct it. FUN!

Or not fun for Derek. He has been moping around the house ever since he got the news. This will be an 8 month recovery for the guy. Which means, no golf, no softball, no football (thank goodness), no wake boarding, basically nothing that involves a R hand. In short, all of Derek's favorite summer activities are out of the question for about 8 months. And, he is sure this is going to be the worst summer ever.

One little thing about Derek. The guy owns more shoes than I do. He has basketball shoes, golf shoes, football shoes, softball shoes, running shoes, plain tennis shoes, I'd say about 6 pairs of dress shoes, and a few flip flops. And yet, it seems to me the guy is constantly needing new shoes?!?! On one of Derek's particularly down days a few weeks ago, he came home with a shopping bag and announced that he had bought shoes. WHAT! What type of shoes could you possibly be in need of I asked..."hiking shoes."

Hiking is one thing that Derek can do, and so we have been doing a lot of it. We started with the Pleasant Grove "G", then we moved on to the "Y," and after we had run out of letters we hiked Cascade Springs, Upper Falls, and Battle Creek (which is a very beautiful trail, but I failed to get photos). Here are some photos I did think to snap though:

Cascade Springs- thanks to Jared for taking us off-roading to this awesome place

Upper Falls on Memorial Day
These little cuties could be found all along the trail
In other news, Derek was sworn in a few weeks ago and is now officially an attorney. HURRAY! I tried to take a pictures, but I fear it did not turn out too well.
To celebrate, Derek's boss gave us his weekend at Zermatt up in Midway. We had Jared and Heather up one night. We played a mini putting course (which wasn't too hard on Derek's hurt wrist), went on a hike, and hit up the pool.
The next day, Derek's Brother came up with his wife and two kids. I wish I would have taken pictures. More pool time and another hike. Oh and we discovered the best little place to eat in Heber/Midway (I swear). And if you go, make sure to get one of their fresh squeezed flavored lemonades. They come in a sugar frosted glass and are literally to die for.

9 comments:

Christi said...

Poor Derek and Poor you, you little servant girl!!
Great pictures from your hikes!

Lima Bean said...

oh, this just makes me miss our afternon hikes around Eugene last summer. Can you believe it has already been a whole year since we took all those hikes and had aerobics every week? Time flies. It also means you've almost been a Utahn for a whole year. Are you scared of that milestone?

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, poor Derek. That totally sucks, and seriously puts a downer on his summer.

Love that you're doing hiking though, that's my favorite and there's not much around here. Looks gorgeous!

Heather said...

That was a lot of fun & yes I'm ready for a lemonade! I'm ready to do some fun hikes this summer. Jared will actually be able to keep up with me this year :) Just kidding. Thanks for inviting us to tag along!

Alifinale said...

Poor Derek! And poor you to have to deal with poor Derek (no offense but I know how grumpy he must be to be broken for so long). Glad you figured out hiking and UT has plenty of that. Love all the pictures and now I need to go eat at that place.

Wendy said...

bummer about the wrist....but hiking is a great summer-time activity and even better that you guys can do it together!

Blog said...

Sorry Derek, BUMMER!

Pound Fi'ty said...

Poor guy,I hope that he feels better

Kari Ann said...

Please check out this site and spread the news: www.mvhs99.blogspot.com.
P.S. I hope you survive the recovery.
P.S.S. I heard that you and your friends are going to Washington instead of the reunion:(
P.S.S. Why haven't I seen you two in forever? You two are like some of my favorite people/couple.