
...but what I hate even more is staying home alone while I'm sick.
I hate to be a complainer, and I think the last time I had to stay home sick I blogged about it too, but let's be honest...I'm bored. So what better reason to blog?!?
It started on Sunday evening. I had pineapple that morning, and I felt this burning in my chest all evening. In fact, I was up most of the night coughing due to the burning tickle at the back of my throat.
I was certain this had to be heartburn like I had never felt it before. I felt like I was burning from the inside out. So, I picked up some Tums and Mylanta on my way to work Monday morning. It was quite a site to see I'm sure. Me chugging down Mylanta directly from the bottle as I juggle the wheel and reach for another Tums in between sips of Mylanta.
Needless to say, the burning did not stop. It only got worse and so did the cough. Then, I started fevering. I some how made it through the day, but felt exhausted by the end of it. Derek drove me home, and I left my car at work (which I now regret).
As soon as I got home, I hit the hay and only woke up later because Derek said he had picked up Marley and Me for me to watch. Watched the movie, was reminded how much I want a dog, and then I partook of the beloved NyQuil which helped me to sleep until about 5:30 AM at which point my horrible cough would not allow me to sleep any longer.
I started getting ready for work when Derek informed me that I was not going to work. I explained through mutliple coughing spells that I had to go (which I must admit was less because I felt a need to fulfill the duties of my job and more because I just didn't want to stay home). He would not listen and just handed me my cell phone so I could call my boss. With my hoarse voice that was barely audible due to all the coughing, I left him a message (against my will) stating that I did not think I would be able to make it in to the office today. He most likely won't be able to understand the message because my voice was pretty well gone, but I guess he'll be better able to interpret it when I don't show up for work.
After leaving him a message, it hit me like a ton of bricks. This meant I would have to stay home...ALONE. There is honestly nothing I dread more than staying home alone. I get so bored. Plus, who wants to be home alone when they are sick to suffer in solitude? I would much rather have suffered through work being sick than spend the day bored to tears with nothing to keep my mind of this wretched illness ALL DAY LONG.
I litterally slid down the wall to the floor and started crying as Derek was getting ready to leave for work. It was really quite pathetic. Is it wrong to take NyQuil at 8:00 AM in the morning not because you have a horid cough (which I did), but because I was hoping to sleep through most of the lonely, miserable day that lay ahead of me? I decided it was and chose Robitussin instead, which luckily had about the same effect.
I must admit that I do feel horrible, and my voice is barely audible, and I can hardly breathe through these unrelenting coughing spells, so I'm not sure how I would have been able to function at work. And, Derek was probably right that no patient wants to see their physician in a worse condition than they themselves are in. I swear I don't ever remember having a cough this bad in my life. It has not happened yet, but I have come very near to throwing up just because I have been coughing so hard. Don't worry though. I won't let that happen because I hate throwing up almost as much as staying home alone.
The day has actually turned out better than I expected. For one, with all this rest, I am actually starting to feel a little better which means I hopefully won't have to stay home tomorrow!!! And with that admitted, I would like to take this time to thank a few blessed modern day conveniences that have got me through this horrible day home alone without a car. (Not that I really feel like going anywhere- although I would have liked to go to the library to get a good book to read or perhaps the movie store to pick up some more movies). #1 The blogging world and all my fellow bloggers: I honestly spent hours catching up on all the blog posts I had not read. #2 Gmail chat: I was able to speak to may people all throughout the day as they stopped in to check their email. Can't thank you enough for checking your email in my time of need. #3 TVO: I had the genius thought of recording Emma a couple weeks back for a time like this and it came through for me more than I would have imagined.
Aside from me being sick, I have some more important news. Though he for some reason had his doubts, Derek passed the bar!!!! I never doubted that he would. Although, the Utah State Bar Association made a good choice here because if he hadn't passed after I endured 2 straight months of him studying 10 hours a day, I would have marched right up to their office and given them a little piece of my mind. Guess I won't be needing to do that now. Hurray!
In other news, Derek and I are now texters! Yep, we have joined the world of texting with everyone else, and I have finally come to terms with the fact that I live in Utah. This past weekend I gave up my (503) Oregon area code and have got myself a new Utah (801) phone number. It's a big step for me, but I had to make the plunge sometime. What better time then on the weekend Derek purchased his new toy, the new touch-screen blackberry from Verizon. I didn't get myself a fancy phone like Derek to go along with my new (801) area code. The free phone was good enough for me! But, feel free to text me at any time today (as talking for any extended period of time is a little out of the question with the state of my voice) because I'm home and available and bored.
11 comments:
I hear ya on the pains of being alone. Tygh just left this afternoon to go hunting and he won't be back until Saturday. Until then it's just me and the kids. What I wouldn't do for some adult conversation right about now and it's only a few hours since he left!
Congrats to Derek for passing the bar. I think waiting for your results (it takes 3.5 months here in WA) was almost worst than the bar itself!
Ugh... Poor Chelsea. It sounds miserable. I've heard that the first year at a practice is filled with illnesses. And well here we go, I'm sick too but nearly as sick as you sound just a cold... my 3'rd since starting this job... eventually we will have superior immune systems right?
Marley and me made you WANT a dog?
I'm so sorry you're sick, that sounds miserable.
I love to text, I'll bug you all the time now!
Staying home sick with nothing to do but channel surf or read is my favorite thing ever! I can't believe you hate it. Sometimes I wish I was sick just for an excuse to do nothing all day LOL. I'm lazy like that. For your sake, I hope you feel better quick!
Congrats to Derek, too. It's so nice to have the test taking over and officially done with!
Sorry you're sick, and super sad you're not on Sprint anymore... but congrats to Derek for passing the bar and officially being done with all things law school!
Up-date:
I have pneumonia! Isn't that what old and sickly people get? What the heck am I doing with pneumonia. Dr. Baird thinks I must have aspirated some of the pineapple and given myself pneumonia. Getting sick. Spent another day at home alone. But, I'm determined to be 100% tomorrow. Lots of antibiotics and rest.
UGH! Pneumonia sucks! Hope you get better soon Chels!
Oh, and tell Derek congrats for passing the bar! woo hoo!
I dream of being home alone sick. Somehow the three kids keep hanging around and annoying me when I am sick.
So basically what I am saying is that it will only get worse as you bring kids (or dogs) into the family.
Congrats on the bar results!
Chelsea you crack me up. I used to call in sick at the slighest sniffle so that I could stay home alone and just veg!! But I guess it really isn't that fun if you REALLY are sick!
Congrats to D Rock!!
Pneumonia? It's definitely messing with your head. Who would rather go to work than stay home and do nothing? When you said that, I figured it was something serious.
Sorry girl! I hear pneumonia is really awful. Just think of it as a chance to catch up on all that reading you've missed standing in lines.
Post a Comment