Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dad's Cookies

Derek's mother makes these cookies that she calls Dad's cookies. She loves to tell the story of how she was watching a cooking show one morning and someone was on giving the recipe for their dad's favorite cookies. Diane jotted down the recipe and thought she'd try them. Since then, these cookies have become a favorite of her husband, Steve, and are for sure my husband's favorite cookie as well.

In fact, he loves these cookies so much that he will rarely allow any other cookie to be made or take residence upon our counter. I will admit that they are in fact, good cookies. They are a sort of oatmeal chocolate chip coconut type cookie. And I like these Dad's cookies, but not to the point that I am ready to swear off all other cookies. I enjoy a variety of cookies. Unfortunately, whenever I get the itch to make cookies Derek snickers at the thought of any cookie but Dad's cookies. I have in turn decided that if he wants Dad's cookies, then he can make Dad's cookies, but if I am making the cookies I will make whatever cookie I am in the mood for. As a result, I can gladly say that he makes almost all of the cookies in our house.

Now, I am always trying to find bread or dessert recipes that use whole wheat flour in an effort to find a more healthy, but still great tasting, cookie, bread, or whatever. And, I used to get Martha Stewart Living's magazine until Derek decided she was a jailbird and made endless fun of her and me every time her magazine arrived. It became so annoying that I have since had to give up my subscription. However, prior to ending my subscription, I came across this recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (all the things I love), and it called for only wheat flour and oatmeal!!!
I have only made them once and have never had the chance to make them again due to Derek's love for Dad's cookies. However, I finally (after 5 years of marriage) was able to make these babies again last week, and they turned out great. So, I thought I would post the recipe. (I have never done this before, but am so grateful to my friend Kristine who posted the best recipe for whole wheat pizza dough that I love- so I'm returning the favor).

Martha "Jailbird" Stewart's Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies:

Makes 6 dozen
  • 3 C old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/3 C whole-wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 C packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 C granulated sugar
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 1/2 C peanut butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 C salted peanuts
  • 2 C semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. Put brown and granulated sugars, the butter, and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Mix in eggs and vanilla.
3. Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture and mix until just combined. Mix in peanuts and chocolate chips.
4. Spray cookie sheet.
5. Bake until cookies are golden and set (about 13-15 minutes).

ENJOY!

6 comments:

Lima Bean said...

YUM!! I'm so glad you posted this. These look so good. I'm sitting here thinking if I could make these without chocolate chips since chocolate gives me so much heartburn these days but I might just take the heartburn for a day.

MISS YOU!

Mary said...

I always subsitute wheat flour in recipes and poor Nick just smiles and takes a bite. I'm so excited to get a recipe for COOKIES that actually calls for wheat! I'm not even going to tell Nick . . . we'll see if he notices. Thanks!!

P.S. Think you could post the link to the pizza dough recipe?

Wendy said...

thanks! i love cookie recipes! i have to confess though your post made me really curious about the famous "dad's cookies." i mean- if derek's family swears off all other cookies for those bad boys then they must be pretty good right? perhaps you'll have to send that recipe my way as well =)

Ilene said...

Your husband too?

Every time I mention Martha Stewart Dan would make some convict joke. Yeah, it got old.

Those cookies look delish. I'm glad you enjoy a wide variety of cookies. There are too many good ones to limit yourself to just one kind.

Jen said...

Look at you, all Martha Stewartish in the blogsphere! They do sound delish, I'll have to try them if I ever get the urge to bake, which is a serious rarity. I'll have to come to your house to try them out! I miss you!

Tamara said...

These sound good, but now I want the recipe to Dad's cookies!!