What is it with guys and big screen TVs? Ever since Derek graduated from law school, he has been on this kick about getting a big screen TV. I am currently back to my non-TV watching self and could care less about anything on a TV and for sure don't care what size TV screen I watch basically nothing on.
I tried to suggest we wait until we buy a house to accommodate such a purchase especially since the TV he wanted would not fit in our current entertainment center. So, not only are we talking about a new TV, but also a new entertainment center, and getting rid of the old entertainment center.
Derek was first adamant about making the big purchase before leaving Oregon so as to avoid sales tax and "save" so much money. I talked him out of that option seeing as how we had just spent the last 3 years without jobs and in graduate school racking up loads of debt. I think it was more the fear of damaging it while moving that really kept him from the purchase.
Then, we made the move to Utah and started working. Derek thought we should celebrate our first paychecks by buying the TV. I suggested we put that money towards the loans, a house, an emergency fund, you know...responsible things. And, so the TV purchase was again put on hold.
Finally, it was his birthday. And, he really really wanted that TV. I relented and said if he really wanted a TV, he could get it. However, I also added a comment about how TVs would probably go on sale the day after Thanksgiving, and it may be better to wait until then. It was an internal struggle for Derek, and I felt bad putting him through it. But, in the end, he decided to hold off once again on the TV purchase.
Thanksgiving came, and we found ourselves in Southern California visiting my aunt. There were two problems: 1) No time to shop for a TV, and 2) No way to get the TV home with us. I'd say that was a pretty genius plan by myself if you ask me.
Well, now it is Christmas. The time of year where Santa brings you want you wish for if you've been good boys and girls. It took some detailed pro and con lists to determine that Derek had, in fact, been more good than bad. And of course, Derek still wants the TV. So I said, if you can buy the TV (and a new TV stand) from YOUR bank (Derek's checks goes into his bank, and we use that for all our living expenses. My checks go into my bank which is not to be touched except for emergencies or a potential house down payment in the future) and still pay all this month's expenses without enlisting the help of MY bank, then yes you can buy a TV.
It looked tight like he wasn't going to be able to make the purchase, but after thorough analysis of our expenses, Derek marketed a well-planned pitch short only of some graphs or box and whisker plots all pointing to the conclusion that he could indeed afford this TV from HIS bank. So, we now have a bigger TV, a new TV stand, and the old entertainment center is squished into our extra bedroom completely ruining my hard-pressed attempt at a decorating theme!
Since the arrival of this TV, I have received progressively fewer compliments on my attire, hair, face, or anything really. However, every five minutes he stops his bar study to ask, "isn't that TV just beautiful?" I think I will stop showering, putting on make-up, or fussing with my hair. He probably wouldn't notice.
Today, is the BYU bowl game. In honor of the new TV, Derek announces yesterday (a day before the game) that "everyone" is coming over to watch the game at our place, and I need to make food. I love this TV more every day.
The second I walked in the door after ward choir practice (7 hours before actual game) Derek asked, "want a preview of how good a football game looks on this TV?" and turns to some random football game. I appropriately oooohhhed and aaaawwwed all the while thinking my husband Derek does not need any additional excuses to watch more football.
So, that is our latest news. And, I believe this TV has over and over proved to me that bigger is, in fact, not better!
14 comments:
Chelsea you crack me up! Now could you delete this blog now? I REALLY REALLY don't want my husband to find it. It will be trouble I tell ya! :)
Chel, amen to the not needing any more excuses to watch football! Maybe you should stop shaving your legs too, and see if that gets any reaction:)
Oh Chels...suck it up because big TV's are awesome. Brian was pretty lucky that I wanted a big TV almost as much as he did.
But I will say that if the new TV means more football that is a sad sad thing. Maybe you could start a TV watching chart and he can only watch it according to how nice and complimentary he has been.
I think I want a big tv more than Steve does. It makes the food look so good on the cooking channels.
I love how you kept putting it off...so funny.
I'm with Emily, I want a bigger TV more than John does. I'm constantly pushing for a new one. I think it's working, too. I'm wearing John down, I just know it!
Your attempts at putting it off worked pretty good. I'm sure once the newness of the tv fades, Derek will be back with those compliments!
Ughh...That would drive me crazy! But if Derek is happy then I guess there's a bright side to it.
Tim wants one really bad too. We're still in the debate phase though. Not to back Derek up but, your TV is kinda pretty. It looks like such a space saver!
Note to self: "Do not let Tommy talk to Derek."
That's hysterical!
Nick's not even a huge tv fan, but he'll start talking about the differences and benefits of a 60 inch versus a 45 inch (or somethign like that) and I start zoning out.
Guys. Electronics.
Weird.
This story sounds oh so familiar to my own life. I feel your pain!
I totally hear you on the tv thing. I swear it takes talent to watch tv and I don't have it. I don't know how to sit still and watch, sounds like you too. We just got a big screen too. I could just see the excitement in Jeremy's eyes, I guess it's a guy thing?!
This is so Derek, I love it! The good news for you is that he is going to love watching football even more...:) I hope all is well with you two. I can't wait to run into you.
Oh my, how I can empathize with you 100%!!! My husband begged and begged for a nice tv, I finally gave in... it is my worst enemy. Why? Because of all the reasons you mentioned here. I'm so sorry for you... and me. TV is the devil! :)
I bet the BYU game didnt look so hot in HD on that big screen huh? Bet it poured salt onthe wound more than anything:( BUT did you happen to see my UTES? HD only enhanced THEIR spectaularness! Tell Derek, sorry bout his cougs... but we are always welcoming new ute fans if he ever wants to make the switch?
Too funny! I will not show this post to Craig! Every time we walk past the flat screens in any store he has to stop and talk about how awesome it would be to have one. I think we'll be the last people that actually get one because we'll probably keep our old school TV until the day it dies.
Post a Comment