Monday, September 29, 2008

Visitors

My mother and her husband, George, arrived on Thursday night last week. I took the day off from work on Friday and we headed up the canyon to drive the Alpine Loop which is gorgeous this time of year with all the fall colors coming in (plus if you tell them you are just driving the loop they won't make you pay anything at the booth).
We intended to hike the Timpanogas Caves, but the trail was closed. So, I settled for at little outlet shopping and we headed to Park City (I am now a professional- supposedly- and have to dress like one, but I lack very many professional outfits). My best find in Park City was some dress pants from the Gap outlet for $13!!! We also did the Alpine slide which I thought was fun, but maybe not worth $11. Oh, and I got to kiss a moose with my new step-father (well technically he held his coffee cup and I kissed the moose, but who's counting?).That evening, we had Derek's parents over for dinner for so they could meet George. We had great food which naturally leads to a good time as well.
We left the next morning at 5:30am for Zions Nation Park. This picture about sums up how I was feeling about the trip at 5:30 am.
My brother Nathan and his girlfriend met us at the park entrance. We grabbed some breakfast and got the best news of the day. It was National Parks Day, and rather than paying $25 per vehicle to get in, we all got in for free (WHOOPIE)!!! We parked, got on the shuttle, rode to the last stop, and started on the trail to hiking "the Narrows."
This hike rocked. You basically hike up the river through a rock canyon. You are usually hiking in 57 degree water that is up to your mid calf most of the time and at other times up to your mid-thigh. The water temp was actually great because it was a super hot day. I only slipped once which is amazing as most of you who know my "Amazing Grace" history can understand. But, that caused me to be completed drenched in 57 degree water, and at that point, I was cold.
We did one more quick little hike on our way to our place of lodging. It was worth it for the tarantula we found along the hike. It was supposedly tarantula mating season and there were signs everywhere saying that as a result, you could run into one. Well, we sadly thought we were going to miss out on having a run-in with a tarantula, but luckily, we found this little guy on the way back from the view.
We all spent the night in this cozy little cabin, and then in the morning, my little bro headed back to Vegas, and my mother, George, Derek, and I took off for Bryce Canyon. We were able to complete a neat hike through good portion of Bryce Canyon. My mother and I become one with the rock formations- literally. And luckily, we all arrived back at the car just as it started pouring rain.
We shipped my Mom and George off sometime this morning. Thanks for coming guys. It was great to explore Utah with you!!! I am now home, exhausted, and not looking forward to more driving this weekend. However, the drive will definitely be worth it to see all my Oregonian girls in Vegas, so girlies get ready to party!!!

9 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so so so excited you're coming here but I hate you for posting that pic of the tarantula. Not to self: Never go to Zions during tarantula mating season. SICK!!!!

Those hikes look so awesome though!
And I LOVE National Park Day...we got in free to Crater Lake one day for free without knowing what day it was. Such a nice surprise.

It's so cool that your fam came to see you and it looks like you showed them all the GOOD things about Utah. Way to go!

Alifinale said...

I miss the Alpine Loop, especially this time of year. I love the morning pic of you guys! Looks like you had good times and it makes me want to go hiking.

I can't wait to see you next weekend!

Christi said...

I am excited that you are coming down. We had better hang out.
I am sooo jealous too. It looks like you guys had a great time. I love all the pictures. I have wanted to hike the narrows but for some reason I don't think Alice and Reagan would have a very good time!

Jen said...

Isn't Zion so awesome!! You guys got some great pics. I'm still so sad that we didn't get together. I'll have to come up sometime for a girls weekend or something. Miss u

ashley said...

I have so many things to say about this post... but most importantly, I love your new place! So nice! And I laughed so hard at the early morning picture. I remember the same face from 6 years ago as I got ready to go to the Olymmpics with a less-than-excited-Chelsea... haha. And Nathan looks so different now; I hardly recognize him without the longer hair he used to have!

Lizzy said...

First of all, you look EXACTLY like your mom. I bet you hear that a lot though.

And second of all, my skin is going to be crawling the rest of the night. That spider picture is creepy.

And are those some pictures of your house? I want to see more! You know how I am about home tours. I guess I could just drive the 30 minutes to see it in person, but I'm lazy.

The Giffs said...

1. Your brother... wow! I haven't seen him in years and now he's like... a man. Crazy.

2. I see that you have MANY people to visit in Vegas but I would also love to put my name on the list of people who would like to see you. I live in the south but I would come meet you somewhere just to give you a hug and say hi.

3. I love Zion. Jason (my husband) just did the narrows a few months ago.

4. Your place looks darling.

Mary said...

Dang girl! What are you doing setting a record for the most National Parks Visited in one visit?!? It feels great to get outdoors though, huh?

Lex-a-roo said...

Wow that looks like it was a blast! It's so cool to see those folks again in pictures. I really enjoyed my Thanksgiving with your family.