
Since Derek and I have been thinking about living in New York, I have really been thinking about what living in New York City would be like. I have the following questions:
1. Are there grocery stores in New York City? I have heard rumors of people ordering their groceries online. Is this true? Is this really what they do? I am totally a once a week grocery shopper. Can you imagine me riding the subway with my arms loaded up with a weeks worth of groceries and beating people away from stealing any of my precious food for the week?
2. Does anyone in New York ever just wear a t-shirt and a pair of jeans? I feel like you always see New Yorkers speed-walking down the streets all dressed up in their buisness suits and ties. Will the people of New York accept me with my flip flops, holey jeans, and faded t-shirts?
3. I am a runner. And, I love to get somewhere when I run. I cannot stand to run on a treadmil. Where do the people of New York run? Down the streets of Manhattan? In Central Park? Will the people on the subway care if I stink on my ride back to my apartment after running in Central Park?
4. I think the New Yorkers walk a lot. Nobody drives. They all ride the subway and walk a few blocks. Well, when they are all dressed up the all time, do they wear tennis shoes with their suits to walk in and then switch to dress shoes? Do the women of New York have the secret to totally comfy, but cute, and good looking dress shoes? Teach me! Teach me!
5. Speaking of not driving. Do they ever miss driving? Do they ever get tired of subways, trains, taxis or other forms of transportation that they have no real control over?
6. Do they ever feel claustrophobic when looking out the window and seeing only building walls rather than open space?
7. Can you get altitude sickness from living on the 22nd floor?
8. Can New Yorkers make enough money to do anyting else besides pay rent?
9. To fit in with the New Yorkers, do you have to be highly cultured and go to things like the symphony, art museums, and the ballet? Or, are you exempt because you can really only afford either rent or season tickets to the opera but not both? If you choose the season tickets, will they then let you as a homeless person into the opera?
Help me out! Will I fit in with the New Yorkers? Will I ever learn to be a New Yorker myself?
14 comments:
Ok..here is my best tip for you:
http://tinyurl.com/2vx4ga
I have heard that you NEED these if you live there~ :)
I have only been to NY once, but this is what I observed:
TONS of people (mostly women) wear tennis shoes with their dressy clothes. I thought it was so weird at first, but it totally makes sense since they walk a lot.
There were lots of beautiful parks that would be great for your running...but maybe take a buddy and for sure don't go there at night!
Subways stink already...nobody would notice if you had just went for a run.
Probably half of the people you see out during the day are tourists...and they all wear t-shirts and jeans...and fanny packs, so I think you'll be just fine.
How exciting...NY is one of my favorite places in the world, can I come visit you?
You bring up some excellent concerns. Unfortunately, I've never been to New York. But I bet you'd do great there!
You do only live to pay rent in NY.
There are little grocery stores, I believe. Haven't you seen "You've got Mail?" where Tom Hanks pays for Meg Ryan's groceries. I do think you will have to invest in a big backpack to lug the groceries home.
That's all I got. I know nothing about NY except that it has excellent food places everywhere (which is probably why people don't care that their kitchens are the size of a small closet).
Good luck, this will be so exciting. Gee, I thought boise was a big city :)
Oh Chels! This is exciting and I am cracking up at your concerns. There are a lot of markets there and they are so much smaller then grocery stores you are used to. You will probably get used to going more often since you can't lug all your groceries. I remember when we lived in DC we didn't have a car and the closest grocery store was like 10 blocks. We would walk with the bags and if we got to greedy we paid for it on the way home.
It will be so fun and I am sure you would get the hang of it within days and be a native in no time.
Hi Chelsea, email me and I will give you the low down. We have lived here for almost 2 years so i would hope I can answer your questions. Plus I have a friend and two other women in my ward whose husbands are at NYU's LLM program. Talk to you soon!
hollyhancey@hotmail.com
I am so jealous. You are going to have so much fun!!! I am sure that you will learn the ropes in no time and will look like a native.
Okay so I posted my answers on my blog if you want to read em. Let me know if you two decide to come. I can give you tons of housing info!
http://hanceyfamily.blogspot.com/
I have lived in NYC for over four years now and I love everything about it...you really need to e-mail me or give me a call because I could go on forever. There is an easy solution to all of your concerns...trust me.
tamaraleehall@gmail.com
Give us a call also about housing....I love living on Manhattan and you will love the stake. Can I say "love" one more time??
Yeah for New York. if anyone can do New York it is you! Are you going to work there too?
PLEASE TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!
LOL. You will do fine in NYC. You already dress nice and you are 'cultured' like all those other New Yorkers.
I met a few girls in Ecuador from NYC and they don't have drivers licenses, so I'm going to guess you can get everywhere you need without them.
You'll do fine. Are you excited about NYC is it better than the other places you were afraid you'd end up. I think it's pretty cool actually.
Yea, congrats on your acceptance letters! I think New York is awesome and completely unique. And I think that you can pretty much do whatever you want, who cares what everyone else does or thinks. I am sure there will be things you will have to adjust to, but isn't that with anywhere really?...
Fantastic questions. I couldn't ever fathom living in such a large city. Their whole mentality is polar opposite from us westerners who have manners and open space. Even the NY temple is in a 6 story building in the middle of Manhattan! And they used an existing building. Do you ever visit Minden anymore?
Post a Comment