The other day, Derek and I thought for fun we would count the number of rejection letters we have received over the past year. We had a stack of at least 25 letters, and there are many other firms that we applied to which didn't even bother to write us a rejection letter. HA! These letters from various law firms very pleasantly stated that though Derek looked like a great candidate, they were terribly sorry to inform us that they would not be able to offer us a position at their firm. Most of them would conclude by wishing us best of luck. However, no matter how pleasantly these letters were written, after a while it became quite unpleasant receiving yet another rejection letter.Well, I am writing this post to annouce...that we have finally received our first acceptance letters. These are not letters from firms (we have pretty much given up on those). They are letters of acceptance into NYU and Georgetowns' tax LLM programs. That's right...MORE SCHOOL! And you thought we were almost done. Nope not us! We plan to just keep going to school for the rest of our lives so we never have to pay back our loans. In fact, that's why I am currently applying to medical school (just kidding...I really am done and not crazy like my husband apparently is).
Anyways, I'm so proud of my husband for getting into these programs. NYU is the #1 tax program in the country and Georgetown follows close behind at #3. Plus, how fun would it be to live in NYC or DC next year? (I won't mention how much it would cost; that would turn this post into a total downer. ) We haven't decided for sure which we will go to or whether we are actually going to go, but at least we have an official option.
These programs are just one more year (or 9 months/2 semesters rather). The great news is...if we did decide to do this we would get to do the whole apply for jobs thing all over again. I mean...why not? It was so fun the first time! I have loved spending these last few months having no clue where we were going in just a few weeks. It's not like I'm losing sleep over this or anything. But honestly, the hope is that after finishing at one of these programs, it would be easier for Derek to find a job in the field that he is interested in (tax/business law). And to celebrate, tonight Derek and I went to dinner at one of his favorite restaurants (one I could honestly do without, but due to the special occasion, I went along with it)...RED ROBIN!
18 comments:
YAY! I'm so excited for Derek and getting accepted to both programs. Because I'm truly a selfish person, my vote is for Georgetown -- go Hoyas! (even if they let me down in the NCAA tourney.)
Be warned, Derek - we're already planning weekend visits.
Congratulations Derek! More School! Good job getting into such awesome programs. We feel your pain with the job hunt.
Congratulations! After attending either program, wouldn't that pretty much guarantee that those rejection letters magically turn into acceptance letters? That would be fun to find out which firms initially rejected you only to change their minds... You could frame a rejection letter and an acceptance letter and hang it from the office wall of the firm he eventually selects. Gosh, I am always decorating, aren't I?
Big congrats to Derek! That's awesome! After all the school you guys have done, what's one more year?! Go for it, and those are two excellent cities and schools!
Hey, I love RR.
Congratulations!! It's so fun to finally have options and you get to start talking about "what if". I'm so happy for you! You just can't leave before we come to visit.
And Red Robin Rocks!!!
We ate at Red Robin the other night too. Jeff apparently loves it, but forgot he does because we've only been there once in our whole 7 years of married life. A move in the impending future is always exciting and scary. Congrats. How awesome that you will be done with school and so hireable (is that a word?) A clinic or hospital in Washington DC or NYC will be so happy to get you.
Oh, and did I mention that we really, really miss you at Bunko?
Well I am super excited for you guys, but I gotta say a lot of it is for selfish reasons because I am SOOO coming to visit. Seriously I am. You watch.
Can I visit? I LOVE New York!
Hey you could totally rename your blog Chelsea and the City. HA HA HA!
If you're taking votes, mine is for DC so we can hang out. Besides, it would make Becky so jealous...or maybe it would entice to her to come visit! Let me know if you want help looking for a place to live or if you want recommendations on non-scary places! Have I convinced you in DC yet? :)
Congratulations! That is exciting and I would love to live in both of those places especially for just a short time! Great to have some good news because applying to jobs is just not that much fun. Keep us posted on the decision!
Red Robin is awesome, what are you talking about? I miss living just down the street for it...
But more importantly, congratulations! It is more school but just imagine how marketable Derek is going to be with one of those schools on his resume! People will be lining up to hire him. You can say goodbye to those rejection letters. Good job, Derek!
How exciting!!! Congrats to Derek! I seriously want to come and visit.
That's GREAT news! Congrats! I'll be excited to hear which one you guys pick. Either one would be really awesome!
Doug mentioned that you might be coming out to visit but he didn't say that you were moving out east. Having grown up in DC and living in NYC for four years now, you really can't go wrong with either places. I am voting NYC though...it would be great to meet you.
Congrats! That is awesome!!!! Tell Derek good job. Either city would be so much fun!!!! Keep us posted!
No small feat! I understand both, but espeically NYU is seriously WAY hard to get into (he must have done very well in his tax classes!!) and what a fun adventure!! How fun!
Hey--maryjnewton@gmail.com. Let's meet up sometime before you become some big city slicker!
AWESOME! If anyone could do more school it is you two. I feel mildly jelous. I would love to live in either of those places. Hooray!
GEORGETOWN!
GEORGETOWN!
GEORGETOWN!
I mean, it's obvious... DC is cooler, yet warmer; is gorgeous; is the capital of LawyerLand with plenty of job opportunities; has the most amazing stake in the church (that would be Mt. Vernon, VA in case you weren't sure); and while it might be pricey, is not nearly as expensive as NYC. Plus, we can hang out! And maybe my sister would drive herself up here for once...
CONGRATS!!! That is awesome. And could you really go wrong with either option? Good luck with the decision.
Post a Comment