Sunday, March 9, 2008

Bookworm

There has been this blog tag going around where you are supposed to take a picutre of everything in your purse and post it. You aren't supposed to clean anything out or hide something because it is embarrassing. You are just supposed to dump the purse and take a picture. It seems most people have random gum wrappers, tampons, lip gloss, keys, the usual purse stuff. I'm finally responding to this tag, and here are the contents of my purse:

Wallet, lip gloss, two drug rep pens (Viagra and ProAir), keys, gum, two pieces of paper with a wad of chewed gum in them, a movie stub left over from the last girl's night out (We went to see a chick flick without the boys: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. It was different and cute and totally rocked because there were no boys to ruin it for us!) Oh, and the last item is my latest must. It's something I hadn't really thought was nerdy until my totally un-nerdy friend (Tara) caught me with it a few days ago...A BOOK. And honestly, I'm amazed to see that there are not a handful of items that Derek has made me carry for him in my purse. All I will say about that is that men should really start wearing purses! Sometimes I feel that most of the stuff in my purse is his and not mine.

So lately, I always always carry the book I am currently reading in my purse. This has become something I fear I will never part with. It has become something I don't think I can live without. Let me tell you a few of the latest situations I have encountered where this latest addition to my purse has saved me:

1. I recently had the privilege of purchasing 4 new, not bald, tires from Costco. They called me to say my tires had arrived, and I could come by whenever to have them put on. I show up on a Thursday afternoon (like 2:30 pm) to avoid a long wait. The guy behind the counter said it would be an hour and a half. So much for avoiding the long wait. However, I remembered the new addition to the purse. So, I think, no big deal, and I sat on their very comfortable, metal tire store bench and enjoyed my book for an hour and half while also getting a high off the suffocatingly strong smell of rubber that surrounded me. Luckily, after a few minutes, I was into the book and the smell was less noticeable.

2. I'm at my new rotation and my preceptor tells me she has a meeting after lunch so it is going to be 3 hours until we see our next patient. (Mind you I am up in Portland staying with my friend and have no key to the house to go home to). My preceptor says take a walk, but I had already run 5 miles that morning on the hills of Lake Oswego with my crazy friend, and by the way my legs were shaking just going down the stairs I decided that really wasn't an option. No problem again. I found a comfy chair, sat, and read my book.

3. I got home to Eugene on Friday night, after a long drive down from Portland and desperately needed gas in my car or I was going to have to walk the last little distance to my house. So, I pull into trusty, cheap, Costco (once again) and there was like a 12 car line-up. This is the part where I go off on a tangent about how in Oregon it takes 5 times longer to get gas because you can't pump it yourself. When you pull in, you have to wait for someone to come to the car to pump it. Then when it is finished, you have to wait for them to finish with all the other cars before they finally come to your car and take the gas pump out. It is, or should I say used to be, a hair-pulling experience. That is, until I started carrying that book in my purse. While waiting for them to get my gas pumped, I just pull out my latest book, and pleasantly drift into another, more entertaining world. 12 car line up...even better! I could probably finish a whole chapter before I have to put my book back in my purse and keep my eyes on the road!

4. And, this is the part where I started to wonder if I was a total nerd; however, I sort of don't care if you think I am. Tara and I went to the mall the other day to shop, or rather return things we shouldn't have bought while on a previous shopping excursion. I guess I'll admit to it. We also decided to get Panda Express for lunch while we were there. My lunch was dished up way before hers while she waited for them to make her a fresh batch of "orange chicken". I, in turn, went to get seats for us. And while I was waiting...I pulled out my book. Tara comes back, catches me in my nerdiness, and says something like, "Okay Rory Gilmore are you honestly reading?"

That's when I wondered if carrying a book in your purse and pulling it out every time life sort of pauses is totally nerdy. If so please tell me, but don't expect me to stop especially since Tara called me Rory Gilmore. I was secretly excited and felt it a compliment.

16 comments:

Lizzy said...

I would take being called Rory Gilmore as a compliment, too. Hello, look at her handsome (and in my mind still current) boyfriend, Logan.

I love that you take out your book and read. I used to be more like that. Now I just take my one year out from his car seat or stroller and I'm set for hours, days, years of entertainment.

Emily said...

I was just thinking while reading that how nice it would be to be able to bust out a book instead of raisins, a sippy cup, diaper wipes, etc...oh, and eww, Logan is so yucky.

Pacers said...

Ha! I just read your friend Emily's comment and was thinking the exact thing. With kids your focus changes to - how the heck am I going to get an 18 month old through the next hour and a half without going insane and driving everyone within a 10 mile proximity insane too!

Tara said...

I think it is a genius idea Chel! and I totally meant calling you Rory as a compliment! I love Rory!

Tara said...

P.S. Thanks for thinking that I am un-nerdy... most days I feel like a total nerd!

Ilene said...

Tara is so clever. We all want to be Rory Gilmore. Actually, I hated her at the end but I wanted to have her hair and clothes and boyfriend. Um, if I was single, that is.

No more embarrassing tampons for me for another 10 months or so. Yee-haw. there are a couple of perks about being pregnant.

Tamara said...

If having a book in your purse is nerdy then bring it on. I always carry a book, crossword puzzles, anything to keep me busy on those down moments (mostly when riding the subway)

Alifinale said...

I would love to be called Rory! I am with Emily though, being able to pull out a book is a luxury not something to be ashamed of. I wish I could do that most of my days.

Christi said...

Agreed! Rory is a definite compliment! I also agree with Emily and Alison about the contents of a purse. Why do I end up with raisins everywhere?

Lima Bean said...

I love that you have a book in your bag. I've been impressed with your list of books on GoodReads and you've inspired me to read more. So there--now, with this post you've inspired me to keep a book in my purse as well. Thanks Rory. (Tara, even though I wasn't a Gilmore Girls fan, my husband was, so I'm acquainted with her and you calling Chelsea that made me laugh out loud because I could just hear you saying it)

Kristine (in case the limabeanhome throws you off)

ashley said...

Maybe we should expand your opportunities to read... I'll be sure to buy you the newest version of "The Great American Bathroom Book" for your birthday this year. ha!

Jen said...

I would love to read more often! If I had room in my purse I would totally carry a book around. I still think you're cool!

Laura said...

You are so good about leaving comments on our blog so I decided I definitely needed to start returning the love more often. Sorry. =)

I think thats awesome that you take a book in your purse. My Childrens' Literature teacher at BYU would be incredibly proud of you. He was convinced that people waste hours during the day, minutes at a time--here a little and there a little. He said if we always carried a book with us we'd be surprised how much reading we could actually get done. I guess he was right!

Laura said...

p.s. We rented the movie We are Marshall the other night. I literally thought of you the entire time. =)

Mary said...

Oh Chelsea! It's good to catch up on you blog. You always cracked me up and I totally love that you carry a book!! I think you are so totally cool and I am a bit jealous. If you ever need a place in Ptown--totally call us! We're only a few minutes off I5 and it would be soo good to see you again.

Kristen said...

So, maybe you remember me Chelsea...a fellow anatomy nerd. I came across your blog on a link from Tiffany Rowland's blog. I just had to comment and let you know what a talented blog author you are. Seriously, your blog is so entertaining to read. You can write about nothing and make it so detailed and funny. I love it. Congrats on doing the PA thing by the way, it sounds like a pretty cool program.