First off, I feel I need to make some comment about Wikipedia, the real Wikipedia. It really is an incredible source of information. I mean I know anyone can get on there and publish basically whatever they want, but at the same time, you can get a lot of useful information from Wikipedia. If you're Derek, this information includes personal facts about actors' lives like how many times the person who played Carrie on King of Queens was pregnant during the show, what the dates of this year's NCAA tournament are, what LLM actually stands for, and many more of what I'm sure were very important topics. If you are Chelsea, information acquired from Wikipedia includes a broad range of topics from useless facts about Reno, Nevada in order to convince Derek we indeed shouldn't move there to the definitions of those medical terms the lecturers constantly stumped our whole class with my first year of PA school (I'm sure there were more appropriate places to turn for that type of information, but Wikipedia was always at our fingertips and rarely failed me).
Now on to my next observation, I think my husband is a genious. Let me explain, for pretty much the entirety of our relationship, I have asked my husband random questions about almost any topic: What shoes look better black or brown? Do you really think Lorelai and Luke will get back together? How do you throw a curve ball? What is the difference between a caucus and a primary? Which of our friends do you think will have a baby next? Will President Monson be as great as Gordon B? Which city is bigger Portland, Denver, or Phoenix? Was Arch Duke Ferdinand the one in WW II or WW I? What's the weather supposed to be like tomorrow? How much does tuition at NYU cost? And the list goes on and on and on. For most things (minus fashion and anything related to Gilmore Girls), he has a pretty accurate answer. In fact, I am amazed at how he fields this broad spectrum of questions and appeases my appetitie for knowlege as well as my lazy habit of not figuring it out for myself.
And, to really brag...my husband is a whiz at trivia games. Me not so much. I know nothing unless it is related to medicine. For example, what are the three bones in your inner ear: the malleus, incus, and stapes (easy)! Back to him...the vast amout of useless information this guy has tucked away in his head from sports, to history, to random facts about the world is honestly incredible! It's great if he's your partner in a trivia game, not so great if he's on the other team. I am always stunned that he knows the stuff he does. How does he learn it all? Probably from watching too much tv and surfing the web when he is "studying" at the law school.
The most recent teaching topic I provided my husband with was introduced something like this:
C: So, are we getting $600 for George W this year?
D: Yeppers Skeppers (he says this lately, I'm not sure why).
C: I don't get why he's giving us $600.
D: (Puts on his teaching face- which is a face I would describe as a combination of trying to suppress an ecstatic grin and at the same time giving me a look that says, "do I have to explain everything to you?")
He squared his shoulders and began on what, unfortunately for me, led to a 10 minute lecture on the economics or our country in both the democratic and republican eye, and how giving us money should boost the economy which is good for the country and so on and so forth (I really don't remember everything). I personally thought, I think I'll use that money to replace the bald tires on my car. That seems good for me, and I guess it is good for the country because then I'm less likely to run one of my fellow countrymen off the road. However, I don't think that was the point he was trying to make. Anyways, at the end of the lecture, Derek turned to me and smirkingly stated, "Do you like how I am your personal Wikipedia."
That's when I thought back on all the rediculous questions I pose to him on a daily basis and expect him to answer. So, in a sense... yes, I guess he is my personal Wikipedia!
As a side note, for those of you keeping up on my transition from rotation to rotation, I just started a new rotation. My last rotation was absolutely fabulous, and I was sad to leave. This next rotation is totally different, and I am still trying to figure out how everything works. It is an Internal Medicine rotation at Kaiser in Tualitin (just south of Portland). I am staying with my friend who lives in Lake Oswego (just 15 minutes away from my rotation and a town I totally dream to live in some day ). Anyways, I am staying up there during the week and coming home on the weekends to be with Derek. So far this is okay, except that the friend I am staying with is currently training for a marathon and forcing me to run with her every night on the many hills of Lake Oswego. This entire week I have been so sore that my legs actually shake every time I take a step. The highlight of my first week at this new rotation was seeing a 560 lb. patient who had a history of penile cancer (which basically is cancer of his "manhood") which went long undiagnosed because he actually could not see his own genitals due to body size. Oh my!
8 comments:
Dan and I lived in Lake Oswego when we were first married. We lived in the apartments just up the road from Deseret Book and Trader Joes. We went to church with people who lived in the houses by the temple. Yeah, our primary kids dressed in better clothes than what we did. However, it was the NICEST ward.
So how many times was Carrie pregnant on King of Queens?
Yeah I'd like to know the answer to Ilene's question as well. I've always wondered that.
Anyway Raleigh is exactly the same way as Derek! His head is just full of all kinds of useless information. It really boggles my mind that he can remember the crap he remembers. We should get our husband's to go on some sort of trivia game show and win us some money with all of that knowledge.
How nice to have your own personal wikipedia. I especially love that you barely listen to the answer because that is me sometimes.
PS - I was born living in a house in Lake Oswego and I went to 1-3 grade in Tualatin. I love that place! So beautiful. You are lucky to get to live there right now.
How many times was Carrie (from King of Queens) pregnant? I love that show. Alex and I loved the story of the 500 lb. man -- we had a discussion along these same lines with the Gardners last week.
I can see this about your husband, come to think about it, mine is somewhat similar. I am so entertained by your experiences on your rotations...how sad for this man, but kinda funny since I dont' know him...
Hey Chelsea, I found your blog from Tara's, whose I found from Clara's. Anyway, I started laughing when I read about Derek telling you about why we get an extra return this year, because Blake has recently been doing the same thing. I ask one little question that could be summed up in one sentence, and it turns into a 15 minute lecture. I'm glad they are so interested in what the learn, but come on, that's why he's in Law School, not me.
Anyway, cute blog, see ya around!
Chels, it's nice to see you've said something nice about Derek for a change!! Just kidding... well, kind of. Anyway, your fat man story is disgusting! But great at the same time. Your stories are crazy!
Holy Cow! I thought this would be a blog without a seriously entertaining PA story. Wrong! You just slipped that little gem in there. How did someone of that size even get out of their house?
I wonder how in the world these boys manage to cram so much useless trivia in their heads and still have room for their law school stuff. It's just nuts. I'm all for Wikipedia since I'm too lazy to really look up the answer and Ask Jeeves isn't really around any more.
Post a Comment