Some of the girls were much slower and having a harder time than other. So we decided to break into two groups and send one group ahead to secure a camp site. I stayed back with the slower group.
Unfortunately, we missed the turn our group had taken and hikes two extra miles when we ran into another hiking group who had happened upon our other group on their way in and they were able to direct us back to the turn we needed to take. Dan Finch came running up the trail and showed us where the campsite was just when we needed him. He had been running back and forward for miles to try to find us. We set up camp, ate top ramen for dinner which despite my skepticism was perfect after a long backpacking day. Each night there was a little devotional. I got asked to share my thoughts on the theme for camp which was that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. The next morning we were going to move camps to upper red castle, but first I had to walk down lower red castle near our camp and take in that beautiful red castle rock by the lake.
Then, we packed up and hit the train again to upper red castle lake. This was high altitude and up hill and we discovered two girls with asthma that didn't know they had it. Luckily, the girls who did know they had asthma had brought their inhalers and were able to share.
It was beautiful up there with fresh water lakes. I took a dip in the lake to clean off. And then I found the most gorgeous place to take my first in the wilderness #2. There was miraculously a little patch of cell reception there and I was able to call and check in with Derek.
The next morning the girls did a faith walk. Each leader took section of the family proclamation and shared some personal thoughts and experiences about it. Then we packed up camp again and decided to hike a ways back so we had a shorter hike out the next day. Along the way one of the girls go severely dehydrated and almost passed out. We had to stop and hydrate her and rest for an hour or so, but she perked back up with water and electrolytes. But, while we were stopped we had a moose sighting so that was pretty cool! Then we were able to continue on a find a beautiful campsite right by the river- which I jumped in again to wash off as soon as camp was set up. The last night we had a testimony meeting.
Everyone was pretty happy when they made it to the parking lot and exchanged their last secret sister gifts.
Unfortunately soon after starting home one of the cars got a flat tire. We happened to stop right by a field of a farmer who knew the owners of one of the only tire shops in town (which was closed), but they opened shop for us after a phone call from him and before long the car and a new tire and we were all on our way home. We stopped for burgers at the dairy keen in Heber on the way home. It was such a challenging, rewards, spiritual and, miracle-filled experience. I honestly loved it except for the sleeping part. I never could get a good night sleep on my tiny pad on the ground.

No comments:
Post a Comment