Kylie called me on Friday December 2nd and said she thought her water broke and goes on to describe several gushes of fluid soaking her underwear. I told her she better head to the hospital. I got off the phone with her and knew I just had to go. This baby wasn’t due until December 15th and had he come then I'm not sure I could have snuck away, but the earlier weekend was doable so last minute I got online and bought a flight out to Reno. I kept it a surprise from her, but told her partner Jordan. I went from the airport to the hospital and arrives just a few minutes after the little dude was delivered. He is the most perfect little boy and my time with them his first few days of life was so precious and will never be forgotten.
It was so nice to finally meet Jordan who is incredible!
I got to spend one night with Dad and Mitch at Dad’s house. We had an incredible prime rib dinner and played Pinochle. I ended up extending my stay a little longer to help Kylie get settled. I made loads of food and loaded up their fridge and freezer. Here’s the new parents on their way to the first doctor’s appointment.
I got to babysit little Dean while Kylie and Jordan checked out a potential house with a little more space for them to all move into. I got to be Jordan’s 4 year old daughter Emma, who is darling and helped me cook dinner start to finish one night. I hardly slept at all and got a taste of what those sleepless nights with a newborn that I have long forgotten are really like. And, I got to spend quality time with my sister. I watched her fall in love with this new little person and become a mother.
It was super neat and I bawled my eyes out at the airport leaving to head home knowing they live so far away and I wouldn’t be able to see them all again until who knows when.
I flew from Reno, landed and went straight to work (they had really been missing me with my unplanned trip). Derek did incredible with the kids while I was gone, but he was super excited for me to come home so he didn’t have to play single parent any more as well.


No comments:
Post a Comment