Friday, August 13, 2021

Dakota

Derek thinks that it is absolutely appalling that on the drive home from Bryce Canyon (the same day we lost London) I was already online looking for another puppy. I just couldn’t imagine life without another dog and I was bound and determined to find another just like London. Plus, are floor and carpets still haven’t been replaced from the January flood and I thought we might as well potty train a new puppy before we get new carpets. I found a breeder in Murray breeding red goldens just like London. These puppies would be ready to take home just 2-3 weeks from then. So the week after we lost London, me and kids were up looking at and cuddling puppies in Murray. We sent cute pictures, begged Derek, and the kids even drew up a contract that they all signed agreeing to scoop poop, feed, water, walk and train the new puppy. 
 That was the final thing that got him to relent and let us get the puppy of our choice from the litter. At first we all liked the name Scarlet because of her red fur, but Dad vetoed that one. Then, everyone (except Camden) liked the name Bella; however, some googling by Olivia helped us learn that Bella is actually the very most popular girl dog name. After reading over extensive lists of dog names everyone decided on the name Dakota. We all (especially Derek) loved the name Dakota because it reminded us of the super fun trip we took South Dakota this summer. Sometimes we call her Kota for short. We brought her home on Friday, August 13th. 
 The first night home she didn’t cry at all in her crate and slept the whole night through without peeing. She is so darling and sweet, but so much work. I forgot how much work puppies are. 
 You have to watch them constantly and they chew everything including your hands and toes and ears. The kids have so much fun with her and really have been great helpers with her. 
 She is growing so fast. I regret not having more pictures of London when she was a puppy, so I have taken so many pictures.
 She gets so excited to see each of us as we wake up in the morning and gets real excited when the kids get home from school. They love to take her on walks and teach her tricks. 
 She has already become as fast favorite of the neighborhood kids. The boys walk her to the bus with then and 20 kids all surround and pet her until the bus comes. I am so tired. She wakes me up at 6 something every morning, she pees in my house if you don’t watch her like a hawk and tries to hide and chew whatever she can. 
Derek even seems to enjoy her snuggling with him.
She comes to all the soccer and football games with us.
 As cute as she is and as fun as it is to have a puppy, I can’t wait for her to get through these first few exhausting puppy years. But I am glad my kids are getting this puppy experience. It has been so fun for them.  

No comments: