Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Liv's Latest Audition Endeavors

Liv's Annie director encouraged her to audition for Matilda at the Sandy Hale Center.  I wasn't thinking I would take her to audition for that show because auditions were the morning of her Annie performance plus the theater is all the way in Sandy and I wasn't sure I wanted to drive to rehearsals all the way up there.  But she really wanted to audition, she loves that show, and it is a great kids show.  So I took her up.  It was a mad house.  There were over 300 kids who auditioned.  They auditioned them in groups of 100 and they all sang the same song.  Each got to sing one line by themselves, then they all sang it over and over again together.  That sort of thing would make me an anxious mess, but she loved the whole thing and amazingly, that girl received a call back audition.  A bunch of her friends from Christmas Carol also received callbacks.  So she actually rode up with Wren and Kelsey.  Wren's Mom offered to take all the girls.  For the callback they didn't give them anything to prepare just told them to come.  Each got to sing a little bit from Naughty which as good because that happens to be Liv's favorite song from Matilda and then they had a dance audition.  Liv felt like her audition went really well and she loved the whole process again.  She didn't end up getting a part which relieved a lot of anxiety for me, but when she found out her double from Christmas Carol, Lydia got a part, she was thrilled and can't wait to see her.

She wasn't too upset about not getting a part in Matilda because that meant I would allow her to audition for the part of Young Cosette in Les Mis at Center Stage--I had told her she couldn't audition if she got a part in Matilda--never again are we doing two shows at once.  She worked hard to perfect Where is Love from Oliver.  She had it down so great and really got into the perfect character for Cosette. She also received a callback for Young Cosette. They called back 9 or 10 girl all for the part of Young Cosette.  And actually, the director of the show came out crying after the girls had all sung Castle on a Cloud saying how amazing they all were and she had no clue how she was going to choose.    I was an anxious mess for a whole other reason for this audition.  This part she actually really wanted and I don't mind at all when she does shows at Center Stage.  They generally only have rehearsal once or twice a week and then the show usually only runs over one weekend--so much less intense than the Hale Center shows.  We waited and waited and waited to hear back.  I was starting to think she didn't get the part and then we received an email!  They decided to cast a different Cosette for each show not sure if that is 4 or 5 (?).  Olivia will get to play Young Cosette for one show and Young Eponine for another show.  Seems like a lot of work for one show, but she is so super excited.  This is really such a dream role for a little girl to play.

No comments: