Monday, June 25, 2018

Fun Summer Happenings

I've said it before, but I will say it again.  Summer is my favorite time of year.  I love having my kids home and getting to to take them to do fun things after they finish all their chores.  Derek says I can't take them to do some big fun thing every day...and I just respond...Why not?  This is what makes summer the best.

Our daily summer routine consists of the kids getting up at looking at the magnets boards I set out each night after they go to bed.  They work through each chore moving it from to do to done.  Chores include math and reading and hand writing every day for the boys as well as additional clean up chores around the house.  Liv has piano, violin, voice practice, math, and cleaning chores as well.  Once they are done they ear a fun activity.  Sometimes that activity is some previously planned activity for the day like our summer Scera movie series and sometimes we pick something from our long list of things we want to do this summer.  Regardless, every day of summer so far has been awesome!

The neighbors behind us rented a water bounce house for one of their girls' birthdays and invited the whole neighborhood to enjoy it with them.  I snapped a picture of all the kids on their tramp together.

The clematis plant on our mailbox was fantastic this year.

We have the summer art group going again every Wednesday.  People wanted to do it Wednesday mornings when I work, so our summer babysitter Megan usually takes the kids, and Liv with all her crazy summer camps often misses it.   Shout out to Megan.  She's awesome.  My kids love her, she can handle hours of craziness, she can cook, she can drive (and I make her drive mostly Liv to and from all sorts of craziness this summer).  Back to art group, at the first art group the kids all made tie dye shirts and my kids have loved wearing their tie dye shirts all summer.  The only picture I have been able to take of art group was this one with Liv and the Hutching's little dog.

Father's Day was great.  The kids each wrote him a card and woke him nice and early all excited to deliver them.  Both Camden and Liv made him a paper tie with Xavonne the night before while Derek and I were on a date.  I told him he absolutely had to wear the ties to church, which he did.  I wish I would have taken a picture.  The ties were a huge hit.  He split the time in half so that he wore Camden's tie for half of church and Liv's for the rest.  Liv's was an awesome creation covered in puffy paint and glitter with pipe cleaner swirls coming off of it.  I wish I would have snapped a picture of him wearing the ties!  The only picture I took form Father's Day weekend was this one of Derek and his dog sitting in the garage that he spent Father's Day weekend cleaning:

I took the kids to Strawberry Days this year since we missed Orem Summer Fest when we were gone for Karlee and Tanner's wedding.  We brought Hallie with us.  The only picture I took was of all the kids enjoying their strawberries and cream. 

Liv and Hallie were super brave.  Their favorite ride was  that green spinning ride in the background of the picture that stands up straight in the air.  They went on that twice.  I went on one bigger ride with Carter (which he was a little scared of) and paid for it the rest of the day--I was so dizzy and nauseated.  Camden stuck to the kiddie rides that didn't go to fast or drop and was quite content.  He was so sweet and shared some of his tickets with Carter because all his rides seemed to cost less tickets than the more adventuresome rides and he had quite a few left near the end of our carnival day.

Derek has been itching to buy the kids some golf clubs, so he finally did one day and has been practicing all their swings in the back yard.  They all are wanting to sign up for golf lessons now.

Karlee and Tanner had their Utah reception at a place called the Bungalow in Pleasant Grove.  It was a super cute little outdoor reception with greenery everywhere.  My kids loved walking down what they deemed their secret passageway covered in ivy and grabbed everyone's hand to take them on individual tours of their secret passageway.

Big changes are happening at work for me particularly at my Family Practice office.  The doctor I have worked for these past 10 years, Dr. Preston recently got diagnosed with ALS which is awful and he has sold his practice to another family physician in our same complex who is associated with Revere Health.  I'm not entirely sure how everything will change, but it will for sure be a change.  We decided to throw Dr. Preston a surprise birthday party this year shortly after we learned of his diagnosis.  Everyone wrote a personal note to him and we presented him with a box full of thank you letters and a quote on top about how anyone can be a boss but it takes a certain type of person to additionally be a leader and mentor.  That was a tough note to write let me just say and many tears were shed.  Also I got the honor of sitting right across from Dr. Preston at the surprise lunch which was difficult for me.  I had to excuse myself a couple times and go find a quiet place to cry.  But, we did take some awesome pictures of all the staff together which I treasure.

Wendy came to town.  So she and Becky and I met up for roommate breakfast.  I love visiting with them.  No matter how long it's been, we always pick up right where we left off.  I could have talked to them all day, but all of us had busy families to get home to.

No comments: