Monday, April 3, 2017

Spring Break Staycation with a Little Hiccup

We thought about going lots of places for spring break this year (down to St. George because we now have  free place to stay, down to Grams in Arizona and Derek hoped to catch his Ducks in the final four), but ultimately we decided to stay home.  So, I planned a bunch of fun things for each day to make it a fun week.

Day 1 (Monday):  I actually had to work for a few hours in the morning as did Sandy Maylett.  She called to see if I could watch her girls while she worked all day.  Her girls are nearly 12 and 10 and while they are capable of staying home alone all day is a long day alone.  So, I used it to my benefit and had her girls babysit for a couple hours while I worked, then I came home to hang with them all for the rest of the day.  I felt bad that her older girls had to spend their spring break at our house with all my much younger kids all day, so I decided we should pack a picnic lunch, load everyone up and go to discovery park (which I feel is a fun park for both old and young kids).  We brought Cooper with us as well because he happened to be over at the time.  All the kids had a great time playing and I lucked out to have my good friend Katie Kummer unexpectedly plop down next to me shortly after we arrived.  Hannah and Lindsey were great at chasing my kids around while I enjoyed visiting with Katie.

Day 2 (Tuesday):  We met Becky Stoddard and her kiddos at historic Wheeler farm.  It was a little windy and chilly that day, but we bundled up and had a great time.  Once again we packed lunches (well this time I stopped at the grocery store and let the kids pick out something to eat- Liv and I picked sushi and the boys picked lunchables).  We checked out all the animals.
 I thought this fuzzy little calf was adorable.
 Carter and Liv sat on the old toilets.
 All the kids climbed up on all the old tractors and trucks.

And then, I bought tickets for my kids to ride the wagon as a way to check out the back 40 acres of the farm.

Then, I let them play at a fun park right there.




Afterwards, we headed to Becky's warm house to continue our visit with them a little longer.  It's been so long since I have been there and Becky had down so much to remodel things that I hardly recognized the place.  It all looked so fantastic though.  She is so amazing at DIY home projects.

Day 3 (Wednesday):  I got a little cramp in my spring break plans when I got a call from Derek shortly after 6am from the crossfit gym saying that he had hurt himself bench pressing.  His words were that he felt/heard his pec muscle pop and roll across his chest.  So, I called a neighbor to come over and stay with all my sleeping kids while I went to rescue Derek who was in too much pain to drive home plus he could hardly move his arm.  The poor cross fit instructor got icy looks from me and poor Derek got an earful from me for then next couple days about his poor choice in lifting way more than he had business to be lifting at our increasing age.  He states he knows but had a "momentary lapse in judgement."  So, I brought him directly into physical therapy where they were able to do a little bit of pain control.  The poor guy was in so much pain he was about to pass out when I found him at the gym.  Then, I left the kids home with the babysitter and asked Derek's parents to babysit him while I worked in the morning.  That afternoon we had plans to use our ice skating punch cards from the kids lessons with Lily and her girls.  We decided to still go and leave suffering Derek home alone with some ice.


Carter and Liv skated all around the rink for a good hour and a half.  Camden lasted more like 30 minutes then spent the rest of the time hanging over the wall of the goalie box and visiting with whomever skated by.

Day 4 (Thursday):  The big event of this day was the LWL ladies got together for lunch (I was introduced to tacos in a bag) and ice cream.  The kids loved playing outside on Katie's awesome swing set with the coolest pebbled rocks underneath.  It was fun to visit with all my good friends.  We hadn't gotten together a long while and we used to be so good about getting together most weeks.  Then, later that afternoon I had decided to take Derek to see a sports medicine doctor after reading up on torn pectoralis muscles and that if they were indeed completely ruptured they needed to be repaired within 3 weeks from injury to heal well.  I had a a suspicion from his report and the huge bruise that was developing over his bicep that he may have indeed completely ruptured the pec tendon.  The sports med doc ordered a special pectoral view MRI for the next day.

Day 5 (Friday):  This day was another day mostly devoted to Derek's injury.  I took Derek for his MRI while Steve and Diane watched the kids.  And unfortunately, my suspicions were correct and Derek had completely ruptured his pec tendon.  So, then I spent the rest of the day on the phone with various surgeons trying to figure out how we could get this thing fixed within 3 weeks with our upcoming Chicago tripped planned for later the next week.  We had plans to meet Kylee Matson with her two boys at the Provo Rec to play which we did, but I felt so terrible because I hardly got to visit with her because phone calls kept coming in.  Dr. Metcalf at Tosh Orthopedic center offered to repair Derek's pec tendon the following Monday and said he would probably be recovered enough to go with us to Chicago on Thursday.  So, up to Murray on Monday we went for surgery.

No comments: