My little socialite Olivia kept coming home and telling me the names of various girls in her class that she wanted to have over to play. It started to feel overwhelming. I figured it was going to take us one play date a week for the rest of the year to get all these girls over to play. Derek thinks I'm absolutely nuts, but after I discovered she only had 10 girls total in her kindergarten class, I decided to invite them all over together on the same day. I gave Liv some options and she thought a cookie decorating party sounded fun. I gathered as many phone numbers as I could from the parents I met at the class Christmas party, and then Liv and I sent a note with the date of the party and my phone number to school for all the other girls and asked their parents to contact me if they were interested. I figured surely a bunch of these girls would have dance or something and wouldn't be able to make it. But, to our surprise and delight all 10 were free and excited to come. Liv and I made the sugar cookie dough the night before. Then, each of the girls brought sprinkles or something to decorate with. They all came over after school, and we had pizza for lunch.

Then, I put chairs all around our big island in my kitchen and gave each girl a fist-full of dough. They rolled out the dough and cut out various shapes.

Then, they all played while the cookies baked. Then, we all surrounded the counter again to frost and decorate.

It was a little hectic, but honestly the girls were old enough to hold their own, and I think they all had fun. Plus, now I know all the girls in Liv's class and have had contact with at least one of their parents. And now, I have phone numbers to arrange any future play dates Liv wants to set up. Yes, a little crazy, but worth the effort for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment