Saturday, August 29, 2015

Mount Timpanogos Hike

Derek has been hiking fairly regularly in the mornings this summer for exercise, and I have always wanted to hike Mt. Timpanogos.  It seemed like this was the year.  We had the kids sleep at Aunt Steph's house so we could start at 4 am.  Then, she dropped them off at our place and Megan watched them until Steve and Diane showed up around 2.  Dave and Kristine Kuhni decided to hike with us and they were definitely good company.  We started hiking up in pitch dark which looking back I think was good because we couldn't see just how far we had to go.  The only hiccup was that was we took a wrong turn right at the start as then had to turn around when we came to a road and stop sign after hiking about 20 mins.  The views from the top were beautiful. 
I didn't mind the hike up too much, but the hike down did bother my still healing toe injury from my birthday hike.  My only complaint was that it really did drag on and on and on and seem to take sooooo long to get down.   We did make it all the way to the peak and took the necessary photos in front of this wood structure.


Derek fell asleep on the hard rock at the top and said he had never felt so comfortable sleeping on hard rock in his life. 

We amazingly ran into Dave Morley right when the Timpanooke (trail that we took) and Aspen Grove (trail Dave took) met.  He hiked the rest of the way to the top with us. Over all, I'm glad I did it.  I sort of want to do it from the Aspen Grove side again, but I don't think I'd feel the need to go all the way to the tippy top.  I think I would feel fine to stop at the saddle and call it good.
 It's nice to look out our back window at the top of the tallest peak around and think to myself that I have conquered that.

2 comments:

ashley said...

Kuhni. Are they related to Glade Kuhni (i think)? He was a really close friend of my mother in law, gave us a wedding present, etc. Small world in Utah county

ashley said...

Kuhni. Are they related to Glade Kuhni (i think)? He was a really close friend of my mother in law, gave us a wedding present, etc. Small world in Utah county