Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Straw that Broke the Camel's Back

Since being home from the hospital it feels like I've been stuck at home even more so than before.  It's super cold outside, and I didn't really dare take the twins anywhere other than the doctor's office for a post-hospital follow-up. Everyone is finally healthy again, so things have calmed down.  They are still crazy, but normal crazy which I can handle.  However, today I am having one of those days...

I'm on my 4th shirt (due to spit up), each of the boys and Liv is in a different outfit than I put them in to begin the day.  Diane (Derek's Mom) took Liv to play at her place this morning, so I decided I'd attempt a grocery store run with the boys.  It was dire we had no milk or bread, and it had been this way a few days.  I was starting to have to be pretty creative to feed Liv and myself during the day.  It had been a while since I had taken both boys to the grocery store, and they are a lot bigger now.  They don't just sleep the way they used to.  The really need to be in their beds to sleep well. 

So, I have my list of groceries for the week and I get both boys in the cart and immediately as we walk in the store Carter starts crying.  As soon as I get him calmed down, Camden starts crying.  We haven't even put one thing in the cart yet.  The list gets immediately condensed to milk, bread, and a couple things to make dinner that night.  And, even those few items were painful because one, or the other, or both were screaming the whole time.  Maybe I should have pushed through because now I feel like I have to go to the grocery store again tomorrow to make tomorrow's dinner--oh well there is always spaghetti (my go to meal that I always have on hand --Derek hates it).

I came home from the grocery store and put the boys in bed so that they could sleep.  I went downstairs to take my 4th load of laundry out of the drier (I had started laundry at 6 am so that I could get through it all and have time to fold it and put it away before Liv came home) and as I am pulling out the clothes I realize Derek's headphones that he wears at the gym have just gone through the washer and the drier.  The wires are pulled and sticking out all over the place deeming them definitely unusable.  That's when a phrase from Forest Gump ran through my head (and I almost feel bad to admit this), "Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far far away from here."

I mean I love my kids and I love being home with them, but if I were a bird I know exactly where I would fly away to right now.  I'd fly to New York City to visit my dear friend Bonnie and I'd tromp around kid free eating delicious food from all the restaurants of our favorite Chopped competitors among other things.  And then of course I'd fly home again and love being at home.  I think I just need a little re-charge. 

I write things like this but then it's so funny as soon as all our kids are in bed.  Derek and I just sit on the couch or lay in bed and swap stories about how cute our kids were that day.  And who could blame us look at these guys:

4 comments:

Heather said...

I hear ya. And my three kids do not include a set of twins! But I still feel like I'm losing my mind. And I mean that in the best possible way.... :P

ashley said...

The Wranglers outfit! So cute. And I agree, don't we all dream of where we would go or what we would do if we weren't home cleaning up potty messes or listening to our screaming children?

Pacers said...

Glad to hear that other people think these things too! Ryan is always a little let down when my great escape doesn't involve him :) So I liked that you would fly to NYC to hang out with a friend!!! Hahaha.

Heather said...

Those are the perfect thoughts. That truly is how things are some days but it's always great to be able to discuss how much you love them at the end of the day.