Friday, November 20, 2009

Four Adventures Worth Mentioning (At least I think so)

Adventure #1: As many of you know, I have been participating on this Master's Swim team up in American Fork. So lately, I talk about our horrendously intense workouts, my teammates, Dave the coach, and use all sorts of swimming lingo. I often get the question, so if this is a swim team you are on...do you have swim meets? The answer is yes. Up until this point, I have sort of avoided them because I wasn't sure how hard core I really was. But, I'd like to announce that I have officially become a "hard core" swimmer. I recently participated in my first swim meet. Derek absolutely loved watching the whole thing (and by loved I mean...he almost read an entire book during the meet while he was "watching" me). Excuse the pictures, they aren't the best. Derek took them from the stands, so it's hard to see if it is really me or not. But, who really needs to see a close up of me in a swim suit right?
(I'm the gal with the red cap)
An action shot!Hard to tell, but I'm in the 3rd lane from the cement again with the red cap.

I only swam freestyle at this meet because my coach feared I'd get disqualified if I tried to swim any other stroke. Results are as follows:

50 yard Free- 31.18 seconds which got me 4th place

200 x 4 Medly Relay- each person on my team swam a different stroke. I was the anchor and swam of course freestyle. Time was 2:07.81 (time for each leg was 32.74, 33.86, 31.21, 30.00). This gave us 3rd place. Note my time in the relay was faster than my time by myself. Couldn't let the team down. And, just because I appeared to be fastest definitely doesn't make me the best on the team. Everyone else was swimming harder strokes (butterfly, breast, back).

100 yard Free- 1: 15.87 I was disappointed with this time, but I missed one of my flip turns and blame it on that. 4th place.

200 yard Free- 2: 54.67 This time was embarrassing as was the race. The guy in the lane next me totally lapped me and was waiting at the wall when (unbeknownst to me) I still had one lap. So, I totally stopped at the wall thinking I was done and all the timers yelled that I had to swim another lap. EMBARRASSING, but somehow I managed to get 2nd place in this race!?!

200 x 4 Free Relay- 1:48.32 (break down 25.69, 26.17, 31.56, 24.90) Guess which time was mine. That's right the slowest. My slowest 50 yard race of the meet, but this was my 5th race and I was tired. We got 2nd as a team. Thanks to my quick teammates.

Adventure #2: On Tuesday, I had to go in for a hysterosalpingogram. A what?!? Basically, they squirt dye through my uterus and fallopian tubes and then take a picture to make sure I don't have any blockages or weird growths that will get in the way when we try this ICSI procedure. So the nurse from my doctor's office in California calls me a few days before I go in to make sure I get on some prophylactic antibiotics. Then, she asks me if I'd like her to call in some Valium or Darvocet as well. I freaked. How bad is this this supposed to be. Valium?!? Like the super addictive stuff of my crazy drugies try to get out of me for their horrible anxiety and panic attacks. Darvocet= a pain medication a little less strong than Lortab. Umm, no I don't want any of that. I'm planning to do this over my lunch break and then go back to work. Can you imagine me seeing patients on Valium and Darvocet?!?

Needless to say, as the day arrived, I started to get a little scared that this was going to be an unpleasant experience. I took 2 Alleve an hour before the procedure and of course my antibiotics. I bring Derek with me to hold me hand. We get to the hospital and wait. All the while, Derek is getting more and more panicy about being in a hospital and keeps telling me how he hates hospitals.

They call us back and have me change. I come out in my gown, and they ask me where I want Derek to stand. Judging by his whitening face and clammy hands I decided he probably better sit (not stand) away from all the equiptment. I hop up on the tab and get in "the stirrups." They insert the speculum, clean the cervix with betadyne and then say, " okay now we are going to insert the catheter into your uterus. I get a slightly paniced look I'm sure because I'm thinking this is the part that is going to hurt. Derek, looking even whiter asks if I want him to hold my hand, and I say no I want you to stay sitting so you don't pass out. They insert the catether- didn't feel a thing. Then, the PA says okay now I am going to blow up the balloon of the catether I brace for the pain- Nothing. Okay here goes the dye, once again fear for pain- No pain again. Then, he say okay, and I'm prepared to face whatever lies ahead, and he says he's done. That's it? I didn't feel a thing seriously. No cramping, no pain, no pressure, nada!

The good news: Derek didn't pass out, and my uterus and fallopian tubes are all completely normal. It was neat to see my uterus and fallopian tubes on the screen.

The bad news: I'm pretty sure there is no way Derek is going to make it through the birth of our child (if I ever get pregnant) without passing out. Auditions for stand in moral support begin now.

Adventure #3: As you know, we just moved, so we are in a new church ward. They called me to work with the YW (12-13 year olds). It's fun, but I sometimes get sad because I haven't really been able to get to know any of the ladies my age in our ward. I keep telling Derek about all these people I wish I could be friends with, and keeps tell me that I can't force people to be my friend, and that I have to just give it time. But, I got tired of giving it time. So, in total Chelsea-style...I spent all last Sunday marching up to each of their homes and personally inviting them to a girls' night in at my house last night. I invitied basically any girl I had spoken to at least once and so people I had never spoken to. Derek was thinking I was nuts for being the new girl and inviting people I hardly knew over to my house, but I'm happy to report that most of them came and we had a fabulous time. I had 11 super fun ladies over, and now I feel that's I've made some good friend to hang out with in the ward. Plus, I don't think any of them felt forced to hang out with me at least I hope not. So, in your face Derek.

Adventure #4: Excited to annouce that...we will be going out to California over the Christmas week for our ICSI procdure. I'm nervous but excited and crossing my fingers that this works. Derek and I have appreciated all your support and will gladly accept all your thoughts and prayers as we prepare for this great adventure which will hopefully result in a test tube offspring or two.

10 comments:

ashley said...

Yay, California! I'm so impressed with your swim meet results... you're a great anchor!

I'll totally sign up for stand in moral support, any time.

Emily said...

I don't know if I tell you enough how funny you are. And seriously, is there anything you don't do? Marathons, swimming?! I love it. Swimming is something I wish I could do, I think it's so cool you had an actual meet...you rock.

I'm so excited for you guys...are you coming through Vegas on your way to CA? We'd love to see you!

Christi said...

That is so cool that you did a swim meet! I would have totally cheered you on.
I would like to know where to send my audtion tape in :) I am so excited for you guys to go to California. If you come through Vegas, I agree with Emily, we would LOVE to hang out!

Lizzy said...

You really are an adventure girl!

I'm glad that procedure didn't hurt. I had my uterus washed out with soap a few weeks ago and I thought I was going to die. I can't imagine them blowing a balloon up there. Hurts to think about.

But good luck in California! I'll gladly volunteer for moral support in the hospital. You tell Derek to move aside, Liz is coming over!

Ryan and Erin said...

YAY!! I'm happy you will have a super cute baby sooner than later. Nice job on the swim meets. You realize though, that you are an intense athlete all around right? Really. You should know this by now.

Lex-a-roo said...

What adventures you have! I am super impressed with your swim meet efforts,I cant' fathom doing all that at with so much going on. You go girl.
Best of luck with all the fun ahead.

Alifinale said...

You never cease to amaze me. First of all, swimming. I tried swimming laps once and almost died. Amazing. Second, you are tough. I am sure that procedure would hurt anyone else. Third, you are brave. It is hard to make new friends and I wish I was brave enough to go to everyone's house and invite them over for a girl's night. Fouth, good luck in CA. I hope you do stop through Vegas so we can say hello!

Blog said...

We hope for the best for you too!!!

Aimeeable said...

Oh I betcha that Derek will rise to the occasion and surprise you. Tygh is not a fan of hospitals and he HATES needles. The first kid he was kind of squeemish, but by this last kid he sat through my amnio and c-section no problem. When three is the promise of their offspring they seem to suck it up. Then again, Liz would make a great coach.

Wendy said...

chels- it was great hanging out with you and derek in california. i hope it all works out!!! i am way impressed with your swim team skills and love the story of your girls night. you are too fun. i am glad to know you.