Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mama Always Said Life is Like a Box of Chocolates...

I have learned how true this phrase is over the past few weeks. Let me paint a picture...we are moving to NYC, we have a lovely furnished studio apartment all ready for us in Greenwich Village, and I am stressfully looking for jobs to pay for NYC rent, but ecstatic for the opportunity to really truly live in NYC for a whole year and see all the Broadway plays I could ever dream of...enter in box of chocolates.

Basically, I was biting into some super exotic but oh so good imported chocolate with a fabulously silky and chocolatey center. I am just thinking this is to die for (unless I am Emily and don't like chocolate- what girl doesn't love chocolate?) when all of the sudden the exotic chocolate becomes a plain hershey's milk chocolate square....enter in Provo, UT firm.

A little over three weeks ago (and completely out of the blue), a firm in Provo, UT contacts Derek to see if he would be interested in a job. Derek had been discussing job options with this firm way back in December and by March they told us to make other options for ourselves and that they just didn't have any job opportunities available at the time. They knew that we then intended to go to NYU, and they wished us luck. End of story.

So, when they called us just a few weeks ago after we finally knew for sure where we were going next year, I had a little temper tantrum and told Derek to call them right back and tell them that a hershey's square is no comparison to my imported chocolate. No deal! Then, I repented, took it back, and decided we should at least hear their offer, as I was sure it would probably be so low that we couldn't make our loan payments, and I could easily again settle into devouring my rare and excitingly delicious chocolate. However, they ending up making a pretty good offer, much better than we expected and now hershey's chocolate was somehow becoming a temptation. How can that be possible?

Let me explain, basically this job somehow turns out to be Derek's dream job. He would be doing tax, estate planning, business planning and other business transactions. While Derek will still have to work hard, they are offering a great lifestyle. Another bonus is that he may "have to" occasionally take clients golfing and to lunch during the work day. (The two things Derek loves most: food and sports). The firm also has a basketball team and are working on a softball team. It's about a 5-6 year partner track. And, he likes all the people that work there.

It soon became obvious to me that I had eaten all the imported chocolate in this box, and it was time to move onto this new chocolate that my husband had discovered which I could possibly learn to love as well. How couldn't I love a job that gets my husband home for dinner most nights and on the weekends when I was thinking he was going to be working 60 hours/week before? Furthermore, how could I deny my husband the job of his dreams simply because Provo, UT wasn't my dream location?

Today, we officially and gladly accepted comfortable, trusty and true hershey's chocolate and will be moving out to UT after my graduation August 16th. We still plan to go to NYC. However, now it will only be for one week instead of a whole year. And, it will be more of a graduation/one last chance to have fun before settling into the real world with obligations trip. I guess I will just have to spend that week scarfing down the exotically delicious chocolate to the point that I am so sick of it that I am willing to settle for hershey's milk chocolate squares from here on out.

Also noteworthy, my paper is currently 36 pages with tables and everything. My professor wrote me saying that is a wonderful paper. All I have left is to format it into the required format. Now, I think that is deserving of a whole box of chocolates (don't you)!!!

20 comments:

Tara said...

YAY I am the first to comment! Allow me to just say that I am pleased as punch that you are moving to the land of the Zoobs (really white chocolate wouldn't you say?) It means you will be closer to me! WAHOO!

Seriously though I am happy it all worked out in a good way for you and I can't wait for the meeting in the middle camping we will be doing. :)

observant moron said...

I apologize for my wife. I can't believe she would refer to Provo in a negative way. She didn't learn that from me.

If you ever want one of those chocolates with rum inside, come visit us in Vegas.

Congrats to you and my homie D-Rock.

ashley said...

I'm glad it's official that you will live near my in-laws so that I can always come visit you. Let's face it - trips to NYC were much less likely.

Just don't make me too jealous of all the roommate breakfasts...

Lizzy said...

Well, I for one am just please as punch that you're moving to Utah. It's about time someone else decided to come slumming with us low-lives. Can I come help move? Unpack? Set up?

Congrats to Derek for getting a great job! A job he'll enjoy and no more school? How could you pass that up?

Emily said...

Chelsea I love this post! But I don't love chocolate.

I'm glad you guys made a decision, and I'm so very proud of you for sacrificing such delicious chocolate for a something less tasty. I don't know if I could do it...you're a strong woman and a good wife. Good luck to you guys, and I REALLY hope you'll travel to Vegas once in awhile!

SJZ said...

congrats on everything chelsea - it's a tough choice to see where you will settle down and of course on your paper (which I of course still have about 8mo to look forward to - lucky me)

Becky said...

I am probably the most excited person on this planet right now. YAY YAY YAY! Thanks for posting the update.

Landon said...

Wow, what a change of plans! Congratulations though! And I'd love to hear about running into Bishop Cripe!

Christi said...

That is crazy!!! I am sure you will learn to love the Hershey Kisses soon enough. Then you will be able to come visit!!!!!

The Giffs said...

Wow Chels! First of all, you are an amazing writer. I love reading your blog. Second of all, that's got to be a nice feeling to have a little security with Derek's job. I hope Provo turns out to be Hershey's with a kick for you! Third, there's a picture of Nate on our blog entitled "Family Fun" from June. I'll try and get some more pics of him to put on.

Jon and Julie said...

Congratulations on the job. You can't beat a "lifestyle" firm, even if it is in Provo, UT. We loved living in Utah once we distanced ourself a little bit from Happy Valley. I hope you have the same experience.

Will there be a report on the Butte to Butte?

Wendy said...

sounds like an awesome opportunity- i am so happy for you guys. i agree with ashley in that i will definately have more opportunities to see you in the future! also congrats on the paper. how nice to have that behind you. now you just have to find your dream job and you'll be set!

LeaAnne said...

WOWSA!! I am sorry that NY is going to miss out on you guys.. We have LOVED having you in our ward! I know..Provo.. BUT, think of all the glamor that you will bring to your ward! I mean REALLY..How many people can say they have lived in the BIG City of Eugene,Oregon! Now your new pals will really be envious of this place! ;) Liz and you can Play and you are so close to the LV friends..yay for UTAH! :)

Darcy said...

You are such a good writer. It's always a pleasure reading your "work."

Bug said...

Oh Chels- I am so happy for you guys...right?! I mean, yes NYC for a little while would have been fun, but let me tell you- job security is crucial these days and really sets your mind at ease. I can't believe I am actually going to admit this but I even miss Provo sometimes. California is great, minus the smokey air that has kept us cooped up inside for the past weeks, but there is something about Utah that just isn't here. Good luck with everything... the paper, the move, and settling in. Congrats!

Kara said...

I love your blog! You are so hilarious! It is awesome that you are so willing to take what life offers you without regret and enjoy it even if it wasn't what you had planned for originally. Congrats to Derek on getting that great job offer and to you for being really supportive about it. Oh and thanks a lot for making my mouth water... time to go eat some chocolate.

Aleena said...

Oh Chelsea, I am so happy for you and so sad for you at the same time. I know you really didn't want to live in Provo, but that is before kids. Once you have kids you will be so thankful for the extra help and distractions that lots of friends bring. Now we might be able to see you guys more then a couple of times a year. I am excited for you and very proud of Derek!

Ilene said...

Congrats on starting a life of deposits into the bank rather than more student loans being drawn out!

It is a good life.

Provo isn't bad. My brother and wife live there and are still cool and normal. I promise.

That is just stinking awesome that Darren got a job that he will love. I dream of a day when Dan has one of those. Seriously, a job that makes the hubby happy is so worth it.

Mary said...

The thing about Hershey chocolate--is it's all American! As a side note--seriously, how is it you can be talented in the sciences and social/english arts! Loved the analogy!

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

Well, I do have to say that I am sad you're not going to be living in Manhattan. It's truly energizing and exciting. But, you're lucky Derek found what seems to be his dream job. That is fortunate and a blessing. So, have a good time on your week trip to New York, and go to Jacques Torres, Leonidas and Max Brenner for all the exotic chocolate you'll need.