Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thespian for Life!


I already "came out of the closet" with my band geek blog, and I figured it's time to let you all know that in addition to being a band geek I was (well, sorta still am) a...DRAMA NERD (gasp). We actually prefer to be called "thespians" if you will. And, I was a total thespian all growing up, and into high school, and I think I will continue to be one to the grave.

My playlist, (or the plays I performed in) to name a few, include Aladdin, Annie, Fiddler on the Roof, Oklahoma, The Music Man, You're a Good Man Charlie Brown, and the list goes on and on and on. My claim to fame was the lead role in a spoof off the Rocky Horror Picture Show called, "I'm Sorry the Bridge is Out You'll Have to Spend the Night!" It was a play about how my fiancee and I got stranded because...well...the bridge was out, and we had to spend the night (if you didn't get that from the title) in Dracula's castle. And, all the monsters fall in love with me, and it was honestly nuts, but a ton of fun!

However, it totally gets worse. I was not just in all these plays. I was in the thespian club. I went to thespian meetings. I was even in a group that did our own little Who's Line is it Anyways for the High school. After every play performance the true thespians would all go to Katie's (the restaurant at the local casino- because I grew up in Nevada and of course we all hung out in casinos because what else was there to do? Plus, it was opened 24 hours a day)...anyways, we would all go to Katie's totally decked out in all our stage make-up, and we probably would have looked like goons except that once again, you have to take into account that this was Nevada.

In college, I sort of fell away from the whole play scene in that I was not really in any plays. But, I went to most of the plays at BYU, and they were great. I love to see plays almost as much as being in the plays themselves. I like musicals most. I know they are totally corny because the characters all of the sudden break into song for minutes to say something that in the normal spoken word would have taken seconds. But, I'm a thespian, and as such, I can't help but love this! While at BYU, I was fortunate enough to be able to go on a study abroad in London aka "heaven" for us thespians. I went to multiple plays a week! I saw Les Mis, Phantom, My Fair Lady, a couple Shakespeare plays, Chicago, and I know there were tons more. I love that town for all the plays it has to offer.

Then, I got married to Derek, who is not exactly a fan of going to these plays where people break into song for what in his mind is no apparent reason. He also frequently asks me to 1) stop being so dramatic or 2) speak a little quieter (because as he is always reminding me...he is right there, not rooms away). But to all of you I ask, can I really help it? I mean, I spent my entire life being dramatic. I have been trained to project my voice to the back of an audience. How can he expect me to just leave behind all I have worked to attain?

In closing, I would like to recap my last performance for you all. It was a performance put on not without reason as you will see. First, let me set the stage... it was a quiet evening one February night in the home of Derek and Chelsea Marshall. Derek was sitting in his 15-year-old Grandmother's lazyboy chair, which is totally ugly, definately breaking, and a chair which Chelsea constantly reminds Derek "is not making the next move." He was on his laptop probably surfing ESPN.com or the cougarblue website which is a nightly or more like multiple times a night routine. Chelsea was sitting on their much newer, nicer couch (which definately will make the next move) also on her laptop working hard on a paper for school. The tv was on. Suddenly, a commercial catches Chelsea's eye enough to pry her eyes away from her hard work on the laptop. It was a commercial advertising that a traveling cast performing Mamma Mia was coming here to Eugene and would be performing at the Hult Center...

C: "Boy, what I wouldn't do to get my hands on some tickets to that show!"

D: (Silently still scrolling the pages of cougarblue)

C: "I have ALWAYS wanted to see Mamma Mia!"

D: (No head bob or any other form of body language for that matter which would signify that he recognizes his wife is totally hinting at an excellent Valentine's Day present. What could be so interesting on cougarblue?)

C: (Not all that amazed at his lack of response, turns back to her computer and fantasizes about what seeing Mamma Mia would have been like).

Although, this looked very unpromising. To my amazement, on Valentine's day, and envelope comes in the mail containing two tickets to Mamma Mia in May!!! So, though it has been years since I have performed on stage, I've still got some talent. I'm so excited! Derek says that counts for his gift for Valentines and our anniversary probably because he's too lazy to come up with another fantastic gift. He might as well have tried to call it good for the rest of the year. No need to get a birthday or Christmas present either. Needless to say, I get to go to a musical, and I couldn't be happier.

16 comments:

Jen said...

You are so lucky you have a hubby willing to take you to musicals!! Tim likes going to plays but can never justify the cost of tickets! Thespian club for life!!!!

Alissa said...

mama mia is SUCH a fun show - i loved it. be sure you brush up on your abba before you go... have fun!

Alissa said...

mama mia is SUCH a fun show - i loved it. be sure you brush up on your abba before you go... have fun!

Tara said...

Yikes a Thesbo! HA! Totally kidding, you know I love ya - I just really wish you had some of these plays that you have been in on tape so that I could peruse your performances, which I am sure were excellent.

Raleigh likes to tell me that I am super dramatic too, even though I have never been in any plays. What is my excuse? Maybe I have a hidden talent somewhere?

Ilene said...

And the Oscar goes to Chelsea Marshall for "Hints for a Husband."

Ah, Tara probably would have made a great Thesbo. She probably never tried it out because she would have to perform in front of boys.

Aleena said...

I love Mama Mia. I am so glad that Derek got ticket. I am a lucky lady because Geoff likes plays and musicals. Next time I see you I would like a renditon of Annie, Okay?

Chelsea said...

I was thinking the same as Ilene. Tara is a total Thesbo under-cover. And she would be an out of cover Thesbo (if you can follow that) if she didn't have to perform in front of boys. Maybe if she gets enough practice in front of Raleigh we'll see her on Broadway one day.

Brianne said...

I'm a musical/play fan too. The only thing that Marcus has ever taken me to that is remotely close was a local performance of The Nutcracker...where there is NO singing, and hardly even any talking. He said it was perfect! When my sisters and mom and I all get together, we actually fight over which musical we're going to watch...The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, The Music Man, or Phantom...those are the typical four, one for each of us. :)

Lizzy said...

Chelsea, this explains so much about you! I love it. I love that you're so dramatic. I might have been called the same a time or two in my day, but I haven't been fortunate enough to have had the training you did. I just grew up with a million siblings and had to find some way to get attention!

I love musicals, too. I think they're corny and funny but I also secretly love them. I'm excited you get to go see Mama Mia this summer! What a good husband you have!

Christi said...

I love it! I will admit I was in drama class in High School and even in a play!!
Mama Mia is so good. I am so excited for you. Enjoy it!

Tara said...

Touche Ilene. You know me well!

I will say that at a younger age I really did wish to perform in such events. However, my shyness (and lack of talent) got the best of me and it has never come to pass.

Now I just try to fulfill my dreams by playing rockband a lot.

Kari Ann said...

That was obviously an extrodinary performance to get DEREK MARSHALL to go to Mamma Mia, in fact, is this the same Derek I know?

Aimeeable said...

Chelsea, I just have no idea where to catalogue in my head all these crazy facts about you; like you competed in a wanna-be ironman, you like marching in the band, you're a drama queen, and you are a professional medical person who can keep a straight face when people ask weird questions. All I have to say is that you're amazing!

Alifinale said...

Brian used to talk so much crap about thespians when he was younger that his little brother thought it was like a bad word. Then when they went home teaching and his dad said "so, you guys are thespians", bri's bro hid his head ashamed he would call the family a bad name.

I love thespians, and although I can't claim to be one, I took drama and loved it. I love plays and musicals. I am so impressed with Derek! Way to take a hint and follow through. I love love loved Mama Mia! I hope you enjoy it, you better love ABBA!

Emily said...

That's awesome! And good job to Derek for picking up your hints and keeping it a total secret. That's awesome!

I love that you were in drama...I wish I was in high school, it looked like so much fun. I love going to plays and musicals, they are awesome!!

Sarah said...

What a cute hubby!!!! I love reading your experience as well on the post before, what an awkward situation and so hard to stay composed. You are so close to graduation as well right? How exciting!!!