
As I am frequently reminded (as if I didn't already know), Derek and I STILL do not have kids. However, we have this on going battle of how we are going to raise our kids.
First, there is the argument of whether we should have girls or boys (as if we really have a say in this). I personally think it would be nice to have a mixture of both, but that would be a compromise you see, and then it would end the fight which, as Derek would tell you, is not my stubborn self's way of fighting. And, Derek of course, is currently spending loads of money on graduate school to learn how to be a professional arguer, so he does not settle for compromises either. Anyways, he seems to think that we are going to have all boys. I on the othe hand, love to tell him that I'm certain we are going to have 5 girls. The best part is watching him squirm as he pictures a house with himself surrounded by 6 other women, boxes and boxes of tampons, and all of us chatting up a storm and PMSing at the same time! For those of you who know my husband, you can chuckle along with me at this very funny sight, and can thus, understand why I love to argue that we should indeed have 5 girls. There is just no other way to have it right?
Second is the argument of late, whether to raise our children as Utards (as I refer to them) or Nevada Hos (as he refers to them). Personally, I would rather we raise our children as something more distinguished like Bostonians or heck, to be realistic, how about Oregonians? Did you know that Nevada has the eighth-highest incidence of drug abuse in the United States. Classy huh? Luckily, we recently moved from the highest teenage pregancy rates in the nation to the 12th highest bravo! But once again, I'm stubborn and he has put us into debt learning how to win arguments for a profession, so we must find uncommon ground to fight over. I like to point out all the great things about Nevada like how our kids will grow up in a town that is not 90% LDS, learn to better co-exist with those not of their faith, really be forced to gain a testimony for themselves, and learn that people who smoke and drink are not bad people, they just have bad habits. He likes to point out that well, like it or not, I married a Utard myself, who turned out just fine (or else why did I marry him...hmmm he has me there), and many a great people have been raised in the wonderful state of Utah who are able to co-exist outside an enviroment where you can walk up to any grocery store clerk, ask them what they thought of the conference talks last weekend, and honestly expect an answer.
Last (and I must impress upon you the seriousness of this, the most important of our quibbles), is the dilemma of whether our children should be cross-country runners or football players. Many a fight have been had over this one. You see, cross-country and football are during the same athletic season. So naturally, our children must choose. I vow to have very skinny, scrawny, children who's body type will leave them with no choice, but to be cross-country runners. Derek then in turn, argues that he will take the kids between meals to McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's...you name it to fatten them up so they can be heavy, hearty, football players. So, I then retort that I will take them on 10 mile runs every day to keep them skinny and show them the joy of running to throw things back on my side of the court. Anyways, this goes on and on in circles. But honestly, what parent really wants their child to play a sport where the object is to get the man not the ball? What other sport is there like this? So focused on tackling, injuring, and fattening your players?
In short, I guess only time will tell who wins these arguments. But, I really hope it's me!
16 comments:
5 girls... why stop there? Why not 8 girls!
And Derek turned out 'just fine' in Utah, but think of how he could have turned out growing up in a different state? Boggles the mind.
And third, I can't wait to see the skinny and scrawny child that is Derek's child... he's just so proud of being big (you know, "once you go big, you never go back!"?)
Hi Chelsea, it's Maria Blanchard (Neal), old friend of Derek's and I found your blog through Becky Hunters then through the Gardners (I was being a bit of a lurker, sorry, but so excited to get updated on you guys). I had to laugh at your post about this and I am so glad that you are stubborn with him. Exactly what he needs and I am sure that you will win out!
Oh, come visit us at our blog: www.miaanddoug.blogspot.com. There are a lot of links to some friends that Derek would know, whether or not you or he cares would be another story.
I love the arguments over how to raise the chitlins. 5 girls!!! That would be a fun house. You will have to let me know how the kids turn out!
Crud I wrote a long brilliant comment that got erased.
Well, I think your kids should play soccer. Takes place in the fall, involves LOTS of running and plenty of physical contact but just not as brutish. I love football but I sure hope neither of my boys play it. I think I would have a heart attack.
Next, if you have five girls then you don't even have to worry about the football issue.
As for living in Utah. I grew up in Cali and was a snob and called people from Utah, Utards too. However, at BYU some of my closest friends came from Utah so my opinions have changed. I consider people to be Utards if they only see Utah as Zion and the rest of the world Babylon. You can live perfectly good lives outside the Beehive state. The main issue I would ever have about living in Utah is that the wages tend to be lower because so many stinking educated Utards refuse to move out of the state and happily accept lower wages. That is just silly.
Okay, I think I am done.
Oh, sure your husband is getting a degree in arguing but you are getting a degree in how to medicate people. You could threaten him with certain medication techniques should he not back down. . .
Ok I gotta tell you I am totally resenting the usage of "Utard" in this post.
Utahns are awesome, I'm proof of that.
I hope you have 5 girls too because that would just be hilarious for your hubby!
If you intentionally went to BYU you cannot complain about the state of Utah. You chose to live in Provo for crying out loud. May karma frown on you as Derek gets a job in Provo and you are forced to live in your mother in law's basement for many years.
Other than that, great post.
Oh, and I vote for 4 girls and one boy. That way the boy will be girly and drive Derek insane.
That is all.
Umm...I think it's a good thing you guys don't have kids yet.
Hi Chelsea, You are good. As I was reading this it sounded so familiar. You guys have been talking about these subject forever. I don't know about 5 female football players. I am so excited for you two to have kids, it will be facinating. I would also prefer you to live in Henderson with us. Its a little bit Nevada, and a little bit Utah. Best of both worlds!!
I love this blog post I think I was laughing through most of it because I could picture Derek freaking out. About the fat football player stuff just bust out all your statistics on childhood obesity and diabetes. See there are benefits to being in the medical field. It looks like you are doing good and staying really busy. when are you done with school. I'll be done in the summer but I'm not going to lie I'm a little nervous. Tell Derek hi for me.
Ok, Chels you are hilarious. I love it. I hope you win too. Girls are so fun, football is sucks, and that is where I stop. I married a Utard and would be fine with living there. But I am fine with raising a Nevada Ho. Just don't call her that to her face, ok?
I think that it shouldn't matter where you raise your kids, it's up to you to teach them what is or is not most important to you. Your kids will only think smokers and drinkers are bad if you do. I am with you on the football players, but between Jeff's skinniness and my shortness I don't think it will be a problem. As for the Utards reference, we'll just see if you're even welcome in Utah...;)
Ok Chelsea. As far as boys verses girls, I'm really torn. After comparing with a few other moms girls seem to get under your skin more, but boys aren't as snuggly. I wanted to have a girl for our second, (I really wanted to put them in matching Christmas dresses) but I'm glad we had a boy. -Especially since I get to see a whole new side of Tygh (like he high-fives Spencer when he farts).
So I have a solution for your cross county verses football arguement (even though that's not what you're looking for). Today in our little Yakima Herald Newspaper they published an article about a boy in Klickitat, Washington who does both! Here's the link: http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/sp/290041119078766
I can see you two arguing about this and it makes me laugh. Good luck!
These are all very important issues that I'm glad you're deciding ahead of time.=) Craig and I have decided that we will live wherever he gets a good job (as long as its not in the same city as either of our parents.)We get along so much better from a distance. =)
Post a Comment