Okay, as I have probably expressed to many of you, I have some major fears about getting pregnant, being pregnant, being a mom, ect., ect. To the point that I am quite content with my current position in life of not having to deal with any of that. However, I have never really been afraid of the delivery part. Honestly, that's the only part I really hadn't been afraid of. Until today!
I'm going to be quite honest here. Lately (and I mean very recently... like maybe yesturday), I was finally coming to terms with the idea of motherhood. I was really about ready to jump on the band wagon. I mean why not everyone else has right? I was even starting to get sort of excited about the idea of it. Then, I showed up this morning for day one of my OB/GYN rotation.
The doctor and I arrived at the hospital at 10am. We checked on one patient who had gone into labor and had just received an epidural. Then, for hours...and hours...and hours we kept checking on this girl and "measuring" how far she was dilated and such. Finally, when it was getting closer, the doctor asked me if I wanted to deliver the baby. I said, "SURE! I'd LOVE to!" Very cool huh? But, little did I know what was soon to come.
She continues to "push" and about an hour and half later after I had been coached on how to "catch a baby" the doctor and I return to deliver this baby. This poor woman who had had an epidural mind you is screaming, crying, cussing, sweating... and I could go on and on with a whole bunch more unpleasant -INGs. Now, I have heard many a birth stories, but I somehow have never been too tainted by these. But now, when I am actually in the room watching this baby's head try to come out of this small hole, and watching this poor mother scream and say she can't push any more it finally hit me. Labor is not easy!
Anyways, I totally got to pull this baby out, and I got blood gushed all over me. So, there I stood, holding this purple baby that is covered in blood until finally the nurse tells me I can put the baby on the mother's belly (thank goodness!) Then, I deliver the placenta (more gushes of blood). The point is, it was really cool delivering this baby, and the family asked for my address to send me a picture and everything, but I really think adoption is the route for me. Because I don't think I ever want to go through that physically myself.
12 comments:
So fun! I hope that is an awesome rotation for you. And I'm sure you'll quickly forget how miserable it looked, sounded, etc. and get all excited to be pregnant. After what Derek told Alex, I'm expecting an announcement any day now . . . (just kidding! :) )
Chelsers. I really don't think any woman should hear about or see the gory details of labor and delivery until her day arrives! It would scare off even the bravest of us! But, it sure is awesome when it's all over. Good luck with the rotation - you'll have to keep posting your funny stories.
You wuss! Women have babies all the time, quit your crying. Ok, so delivering a baby is pretty dang cool, and watching it is pretty scary. But I am telling you it is so worth it and it is amazing to know that you can do this! Plus, epidurals are a happy thing. Now buck up and get on the band wagon because babies are way too fun and the sympathy you get from your hubbie when you are pregnant is almost worth it alone.
I'm with Alison...WUSS!! Get over it and get pregnant already! When you have your baby it's so way different and you don't have to even see the blood and gushing, etc. Now, I'm not one for ghorry (sp?) deliveries...mine we pretty short and sweet. But I know there are crazy, difficult, long, etc., but you never know, and having the baby is WAY worth the minute time you're in pain. Plus, you forget about and want to do it all over again. :)
It looks and sounds so bad, but I promise it's totally different when you're the one in the drivers seat. And it's so true that you forget all about the pain and want to do it all over again. Babies are so worth it!
Chelsea!!! Its Heidi, remember me from xlear???? How are you? It was fun to see your pictures on Jared's blog! our blog is www.justinandheidinelson.blogspot.com You can check us out and keep in touch!!! Sounds like things are going well for you guys!!! Tell the big dog hi for me.
There is a reason your eyes are not located next to your vagina. You are not supposed to see yourself giving birth. My response to the nurses asking if I want a mirror is "hell no."
Sorry for the swearing, but I tend to do that when pushing a grapefruit out of my vagina.
You are so funny! It is so true but it is so worth it. Hey, just get an epidural and seriously don't whine...Aleena has done 2 naturally and this one was on all fours because the baby came so fast they didn't have time to get her into bed. Having a baby is worth it, they are the best thing ever. You could be like me and have a C-section. It was great, I did not feel a thing! I think that might be the way to go. My friend chooses to do it. We are dying to hear an announcement from you as I think you are the only ones without kids and since you are going to be moving here to Vegas you need to have one to be friends with mine!
That is so cool Chelsea! What's cooler is that Alison got sympathy from her husband when she was pregnant!
No seriously, that would be such a cool experience. When I was pushing Easton out it would have been nice to be on the receiving end instead honestly...it wasn't that fun. But, the rewards are endless and daily, so it's totally worth it!
Now that you've seen it, it will just make it that much less scary for you! Okay we'll be anxiously awaiting your announcement!
I love this blog! That is so cool that you were able to deliver the baby. I am so jealous. It isn't too bad! Like they all said it is worth it!
You will be a wonderful mom! Don't even think twice about the labor part. And, aren't you the one who was so excited to use the mirror during delivery?! Maybe that lovely reminder will convince to start having babies. I need my friends to have everything in common with me - you need a baby, Deb needs a husband. Come on, get with it!
Well ... that woman will be me in about 2 weeks! Wish me luck. I hope your experience with all of it gets better as time goes on.
I'm so glad we both have blogs. It's great to hear from you. By the way, my sister is on her way to London for Fall semester study abroad. I'm sooo jealous. I miss our days there.
Post a Comment