I have recently acquired the blog addresses of many of my firends who are spouses of Derek's best buds from high school as many of you may have noticed by my all of the sudden increase in links to other bloggers. They too have been adding my blog address to their blog pages. I have noticed something that each of them has done that has made me pause to consider about whether I am a totally self-centered person. Each of their blogs has a link to my page with a title like "Derek and Chelsea Marshall" or "Marshall Family."
The funny part of this is that my blog's actual title is Chelsea's Blog. And, naturally it's all about ME. I occasionaly make an on the side comment about Derek here and there, but he actually rarely gets mentioned in my blogs. So, I ask...am I totally stuck on myself or what? I mean these poor people know me through Derek and probably would love to know what Derek is up to, but I all I ever write about is me. Funny huh?
And then, I must constantly compare my blog to those of people who are much more selfless than I whose blogs ARE titled after their family's last name. They really do write about what they are all up to and what they are doing together as a couple or family. I mentioned this concern of mine to Derek, and he suggested I should maybe put a picture of the two of us on our blog (I have not a single picture of myself on this blog, but sure why not a picture of some unknown kid spilling spaghetti sauce on his shirt?). Good idea Derek! I should put a picture of us on the blog; however, in order to keep up with the self-centered image my blog portrays, I should blot out your face so really all you see is me.
I have a few thoughts as to why my blog is Chelsea's blog rather than a much more selfless title with much less self-centered entries. Thought #1: Derek and I never take pictures. We never remember to bring our camera anywhere, and when we do remember, we don't remember to use it! But, this is perfect for me because pictures of our activities together as a couple would force me to put posts of what we did together and then I would have to change my blog title to Marshall Family Blog or Derek and Chelsea's Blog. Thought #2: Derek lives a pretty boring life actually. He gets up reads the sports section of the new paper online, reads ESPN.com, reads Cougar blue, goes to school, studies, goes to work, watches ESPN at night, and then does it all over again. Did I mention he watches and reads a lot of sports? Thought # 3: I really am a brat and love to talk all about me and nobody else.
P.S. But seriously, for those of you who would like to know what Derek is up to, and you probably should because I am currently very worried about him. Tonight, he drove all the way to Corvalis (which is a good 45 minutes at least) on a school night to watch Utah play Oregon State. Hello! That is like both our rivals playing each other! What the heck is he doing?!? For those of you who know Derek to be the extreme BYU fan that he is or at least I thought he was beware. I fear he will come home dressed in Red and rooting for the Utes!!! Although maybe not since they got their butts kicked tonight (HA)!
There! My first step towards including my husband in my blog. I am now one step closer to all my much more Christ-like friends and their blogs about their families and spouces rather than just themselves.
15 comments:
Yes, you are a brat, and I don't think we can be friends anymore. Actually, I quite enjoy your blog the way it is. And really, I get quite enough of the "sports freak" stuff around here, that I don't need to hear about Derek doing the same exact stuff there. Haha! But a picture or two of you guys wouldn't hurt.
I'll agree with the picture thing, but otherwise, I think you don't have to include Derek because your life is interesting enough on your own. I on the other hand don't have much to write about so I live vicariously through Jeff and man am I busy!!
I think it doesn't matter what the title is - my blog is our last name, but let's face it, I'm the only one doing any blogging. You put in the time, take the credit!
It's all about you Chelsea!
Yes, you are a brat.
Aw, Derek -- it's so sweet of you to comment on Chelsea's blog! Maybe now she'll change it to "chelseaandderek". Hmm, not likely.
Well no one wanted to say anything to you, but since you brought it up :) J/K I love YOUR blog!
Well no one wanted to say anything to you, but since you brought it up :) J/K I love YOUR blog!
I see Derek every day. His life is (1) not interesting and (2) highly offensive to people like myself who are trying to choose the right. In order to keep people reading your blog and so that it doesn't get shut down by the FCC for obscenity, I suggest continuing to exclude Derek as much as possible.
I like your blog too. Derek Schmerek. Tell him to get his own blog!!
I am really feeling the love guys. Thanks.
I say Derek can start his own blog. My blog is just that...MINE. Do whatever you want - nobody says that not having a family blog is selfish. DWAI.
I don't have any family blog either. It is all about me and my complaints. I am not giving Dan any credit for my witty remarks and deep reflections.
The way I see it is that I am not a brat, just vain.
LOVED the post, by the way. Especially the comment about the picture and blotting Derek's face out. Great line.
LOVED seeing you too on Saturday. That was way too much fun. I am coming down again in October and we will need to meet at McGrath's again. Maybe in a corner booth, though; so as not to scare everyone away :)
You're hilarious but not a brat. You have a right to do your own thing ... Bryan barely wants to claim our blog because I talk to much about myself ... so to compromise, he started doing a weekly college football update on there. It's your choice, and I would like to see a picture of the two of you! That's half the fun of the blogs are the pictures.
Chelsea, I have spent a week with Derek and I know what his life revolves around and that it's somewhat similar to Jared's(the eating part anyway). I think you're stories are interesting so don't worry. We love ya though Derek :)
Post a Comment