Saturday, June 16, 2007

Good Ol' Eugene

So, Derek and I recently moved back to Eugene. I really didn't know how much I missed the place until we got back. Salem really was more of a place I just ate and slept last year. I really spent all my time in Hillsboro or driving between the two I guess. There were some perks to Salem...the temple was only 40 minutes away, the Portland airport was much closer and that's where all the cheap Southwest flights fly out of, Woodburn (those of you in the area know how great Woodburn is and for those of you who don't it's a wonderful outlet mall) was just 15 miutes away (on second thought maybe that wasn't a good thing). But back to the topic at hand...Eugene. Let me give you a short little overview of all the great things that I really did miss about Eugene.

First, the River Trails. This town is AMAZING with the bike trails that can get you almost anywhere in the city. I love the River Trails and we live very close to them over here in the Glenbrook. The trails go for miles and miles all along the Willamete River with cute little bridges every few miles that allow you to go across the river, and there are intermittent parks with gorgeous flowers and fountains everywhere. Plus, there are always people out biking, run with their dogs (I WANT A DOG!), pushing their kids in strollers, ect, ect...so it's not like they are these scary trails that you wouldn't feel safe running all by yourself on.

Next, the DUCK fans. Salem was a little more BEAVER friendly, and it is nice to be back surrounded by the green and yellow. I love the Os everywhere. And, I can't wait for football season when the whole town turns highlighter yellow and green. Especially when you got out to eat the night before a game everyone is all ducked up for the game the next day. It's nice to live in a college town.

Of course I can't forget to mention the Hippies! Yes, I missed the hippies. Not their smell, but the way they can make me smile. For example, the other day Derek and I were driving past Market of Choice (the grocery store that you can find all the organic food you could ever want...and pay an arm and a leg for it). Anyways, outside of the store on the corner of the street were two hippies (boy and girl) with dreadlocks holding a cardboard sign stating that they needed "healthy dog food." You really don't see things like that in just any ol' place in the United States. This is a special town, and you know what, I bet someone bought them some organic dog food when they went in the store!

And last but certainly not least, my law wife (and pharmaceutical wife) friends. I totally missed you guys. I'm so glad to be back in your presence. You guys are terrific. Even if you do come over to my house every single day (Tara). Anyways, it's great to be back in the Euge! Hopefully I made some of you pooperscoopers that moved away from us desperate to come back. Uh...THE END!

7 comments:

Emily said...

Right on Chelsea! Eugene rocks!

Alifinale said...

Great...you are not making this moving stuff any easier. But yeah, I would rather live in Eug than Salem. Glad your back.

Becky said...

now if you could just live near us ... you could probably write an Ode to Becky (similar to your Ode to Eugene, but better).

Tara said...

I know, I know! I just loving having you close by Chelsea. You don't even know how happy it makes me to have you kids back in the Eug.

Feel free to stop by anytime for our dinner scraps. :) ha ha!

Ilene said...

Great tribute to Eugene! I will miss it here. It will be weird to live in a non-college town. And I will miss the Willamette river and all of the river walks a lot too. Whenever I stroll down those paths, I think "I love Eugene."

Brianne said...

Why do you think Liz moved? Now Tara needs someone else to keep her from boredom. We all know she doesn't ever work, just blogs...and when the blogging's done, she needs companionship. Love you Tara!!

Uncle Ronnie said...

Chels,
I too share your pregnacy concerns. I appear pregnant myself and have grown to a 42-inch waist. Fortunately, I do not anticipate having a baby or any other side effects -- although I do crave pickles and ice cream.

Tata,
Uncle Ronnie