Monday, June 4, 2007

All in a Day

First off, I'd like to appologize for my ugly blog that as my good friend Crystal pointed out needs pictures. Excuse #1: I never take pictures and therefore have no pictures to post. Excuse #2: I'm really not that technologically clever and have yet to figure out how to get a neat picture off the internet to post. Excuse #3 and probably the main reason: I am lazy and really don't want to. Now that I have cleared that up...on to what I really wanted to post about.

I really think Family Practice is the place for me. In just today I counseled a patient on breast reductions, discussed the potential harms of anorexia with a 110 pound girl who thinks she is fat and wants to weigh 100 lbs, talked about gastric bypass surgery with an overweight patient who is suffering from depression and joint pain (to the point that she can't walk) after trying multiple alternative ways of losing weight, removed stitches, and incised and drained an abscess the size of a golf ball on someone's cheek!

I just love the variety of things you deal with and the relationships you build with patients as you see them over and over throughout the years. I really do think Family Practice is the place for me. And, maybe that is why when I came home and received an email from my clinical coordinator saying yet another one of my rotations had fallen through (note the PENDING rotation off to the right which used to say Salem Hospital) and will most likely be spending yet another 6 weeks out of state away from my husband, I calmly put on my running shoes, went for a run, and came back home to face this new future with an amazingly (well what I think is amazing for me) level head.

6 comments:

Ilene said...

No worries, Chelsea. Husbands are way overrated.

Family practice sounds great. Lots of fun stories and variety. I don't know how you can juggle it all- I am amazed you can keep up a blog, don't even worry about posting pictures.

Becky said...

Chels, I'm so glad you are enjoying your rotation so far! Sorry to hear about the messed up location (but I'm crossing my fingers that they'll send you to Utah!!) Hope you and Derek are doing well. You guys missed a fun going away party for Sara and Ryan at Grandma's house last weekend. As usual, I miss you!

Emily said...

Chelsea I love reading your blog! Who cares about pictures. I post pictures to make up for my lack of interesting things to say...you don't need them since your posts are awesome. I'm sorry you have to be away from Derek for such a long time, that sucks...but like you said; at least you don't have to wake up to a screaming baby!

Alifinale said...

I am with Emily...the pictures I put on are to distract with the fact that I am not very interesting. I am so glad that you are enjoying your work. You will be amazing and I hope you can line something up that is either close to your hubbie or your family. It will all be worth it in the end...

Patrick and Crystal said...

Chel, you should have taken a picture of the pee on the skirt! that would be a fun post:)

Tara said...

Oh sad times! I am gone for a week and one of your things falls through. I am sorry! Well we need to chat so I can hear all about it and what you have set up now. We've missed you guys!

Love, your crazy, clingy neighbors

the Thompsons.