About a year ago my cousin Westley found himself in California, laid off from work, and holed up in his apartment hiding from COVID-19. My Dad insisted that he escape to his house, and he eventually relented to do just that. While there he was introduced to Chloe, my ex-step sister. Dad says he was immediately taken with her. They have been dating the last year, have now bought a house together in Reno, both have great jobs. Chloe’s daughter Charlotte adores him and they decided to get married over Labor Day Weekend. All of my siblings, my Aunt Kathy and Mike (Westley’s parents), and my Grandma all planned to attend this wedding. Of course we had to make it out for this. I actually found myself quite excited to go back to Reno where I grew up. I hadn’t been back for quite a while and it actually felt good to go home. Camden was able to set up the Wii for the car ride out which the kids enjoyed playing together.
All 4 siblings stayed at my Dad’s house. We had a blast and Dad cooked so much great food. Saturday, my fam, Dad, Lynn, and Aunt Kylie all went to Virginia City.
We all went on an underground mine tour, went into the joke shop and walked the boarded streets window shopping.
Then, we went to the oldest church in Nevada something I had actually never done while in Virginia City.
It is a gorgeous cathedral with incredible stained glass throughout. I let each of my kids buy and light a candle. Liv took a particular interest in going into this real cathedral with her Hunchback show coming up.
I then, went to Reno with my Dad to pick up Nay, Benz and kids while the other went home. Nathan’s kids are so darling and sweet it was such a treat to get to spend some time with them.
My kids were just so excited to play with and hold their younger cousins (when they would let them).
Liv had some great bonding moments wither her aunts. Every night I would find her snuggled up with Benazir chatting the night away before bed.
She is getting so grown up. Sunday morning, we went to Sacrament meeting in Minden. I happened to attend Joni and David Haws’ ward so it was fun to visit with them after. There happened to be a huge fire going on in Tahoe while we were visiting. The air at Dad’s place was so awful and smoke filled. Sunday happened to be fast and testimony meeting and it was so neat to hear people who had been evacuated from their homes bare testimony of blessing and the Lord’s hand in their lives. It was also neat to hear how the community had come together to provide meals for the evacuees at a moment’s notice. The world really is filled with so much good. All day on Sunday, I took my kids on a tour of all the homes I had lived in throughout the valley and all the schools I attended. I would tell them funny things I could remember from each place. They seemed to tolerate this pretty well. Sunday night was Chloe and Westley’s wedding in Sparks. It was a beautiful intimate outdoor event.
They smoked all their own BBQ meat for the event and it was all so great! At times it was definitely interesting basically every person who at any point had been family by marriage through my Dad was there. Katrina and all her family, all Lynn’s family and our family. Weird to know and be part of families from both sides of the wedding parties.
We got so many great family photos at this event. We rarely get us all together in the same place any more. It was such a gift!
Monday morning it was time to pack up and drive home. We stopped in Reno at the Silver Legacy where Aunt Kathy, Uncle Mike and Grams were staying and had breakfast with Chloe, Westley, Charlotte, Aunt Kathy, Uncle Mike, Grams, Dad, Lynn and all my fam of 5. It was a great (less busy and stressful) time to visit with all of them. Then, we gave everyone hugs and said our goodbyes hoping to see them all again before too long. I honestly feel so grateful that my cousin and ex-step sister met, fell in love, and provided an opportunity for all my siblings and Dad’s family to come together.
No comments:
Post a Comment