Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmastime 2018


We had a great Christmas Season.  Despite our incredibly busy schedule we made some time for lighting the world.  We went caroling to some of Derek’s family who all seemed to love our visit.  We were also able to carol to our bedridden with MS neighbor Debbie Harrison, the day before she ended up passing away.  Olivia sand Haul out the Holly, then the boys sang Christmas Bells are Ringing, and then we all sang We wish you a Merry Christmas.  Then, the kids would ask the people we caroled to to tell them of some of their Christmas memories as children.  It is a great yearly tradition we have going.  One night we spent cleaning Steve and Diane’s basement room for them.  Because we didn’t have time to make it up to temple square to purchase items from the light the world vending machine, we pulled up the same purchaseable items online and let our kids pick things to buy and send to children in need across the world.  They picked tarps and warms blankets.  One Sunday I let all the kids make their own craft Christmas tree ornaments and then we made 12 assembly kits and I dropped them off at the children’s floor of Utah Valley Hospital one day when I was working there.  We had one dinner where we went around the table and told each member of the family why we loved them.  We invited a new family that recently moved into the neighborhood over for dinner.  A bunch of kids in the neighborhood got together and arranged to sang Christmas songs at the assisted living facility in the neighborhood.  And on Christmas Day we took sometime to divide up verses and go around the room reading Luke 2.  I will say that with the way our schedule looked, I started the season thinking we had no extra time to go above and beyond trying to act as our Savior did and participate in the light the world challenge, but I quickly decided that if we didn’t have time for that then we were for sure spending our time unwisely.  So, we made time and had a great Christmas Season with the Spirit of Christ abounding in our home and making it all the better.

My Dad came out the first weekend in December to see Olivia’s Christmas Carol performance.  We took them to Funtopia to show off the kids’ favorite rock climbing place.  Then, we all went to festival of trees on Saturday.  The kids got to put their Christmas orders in with an elf on the phone.  Then, Dad got all the kids ugly Christmas sweaters to wear to the ward Christmas party where the two boys sang and Olivia missed due to two shows that night.  My Dad got himself and all the kids ugly sweaters to wear to the party.

We had a great time decorating the Christmas tree together on a day when Olivia was finally home. 


Camden was thrilled to get to put the star on top.  

Once decorated, lying by the lit up Christmas tree seemed to be London’s favorite place of rest through the Christmas season.
Steve got us all tickets to ride the polar express train his neighbors do.  

Derek didn’t get to go with us last year, so this was his first year with us.  

We all squished in this little train together, rode to the north pole, sat on Santa’s lap, and then on the way back to the station they place music about Christ as you ride through fields with beautiful paintings of the Savior displayed.  It was a good night.


I got to volunteer in both the boys class and Olivia’s class for their Christmas parties.  The boys got to come with me to Olivia’s Christmas party.  They had fun rotating around the stations with Olivia.  I got assigned the treat so I brought these Grinch fruit skewers and we made reindeer candy canes too. 
In the boys class, I got to assigned the Christmas bingo station.  I brought cinnamon rolls into mine and Derek’s office as a little Christmas thank you.  Derek gave all the partners at his firm summer sausage and cheese with cheese boards.  We gave all our neighbors a bottle of sparkling cider and the kids teachers the same with notes that said “Cheers to great neighbors or a great Teacher.”
The first day that the kids and I were home together, we made cut out Christmas sugar cookies.  They had been begging me for days and when we finally found the time, we had a great time doing it.
We had a full house for Christmas:  Babi and Papou, Nay and Benz, and Aunt Kylie.  They came up for Liv’s last show on Saturday night.  Sunday, Benz and Mom came to church to watch me and the kids sing in the sacrament program while Kylie, Nay and Papou went cross country skiing.  That night we had a nice ham dinner with the Honey Baked Ham gift certificate Aunt Kathy sent out to us.  Christmas Eve I was on call and in and out all day.  But, I was able to catch half of Mary Poppins returns which I absolutely loved (I am dying to see the rest of it), and we exchanged presents.  Nay gave Carter a puzzle and each boy a lego set and new pjs which they loved.  
He gave Liv a lava lamp which now serves as her new night light, and some new clothes as well.  Kylie gave everyone cute outfits from New Zealand.  Babi and Papou got the kids clothes and legos and they gave us a new platter (which is perfect for George’s big fruit platters) and a sous vide!  We played a lot of games every night.  

Aunt Kylie and Babi played a particularly emotionally intense game of Sorry with the boys.  



Nathan helped Carter put together his 300 piece puzzle.  Kylie bought crab and clams for all of us and we had a crab dinner no plates required--just pounded them open on the plastic wrapped table.  
Then, Christmas morning we had breakfast casserole and enjoyed all the fun things Santa left for us and then everyone headed home.  It was definitely a full house, but I loved Christmas with all my family this year, and I know my kids did too.  

And, I was so glad they were all there to hang out with my kids while I was working most of Christmas Eve.  Pretty sure my kids didn’t even notice I was gone. 

Christmas Day Derek and I took the kids to see the new Grinch movie.  They loved it, but both Derek and I, exhausted from all the weeks leading up to and through Christmas, both fell asleep in the movie theater for a large chunk of the movie.  Santa brought the kids Christmas painting crafts so they all sat at the counter and painted those.

 That evening we had Derek's parents over for dinner to help us eat all the left over ham we had with my family.  It was overall just a fantastic Christmas season this year filled with family, fun, and remembering our Savior Jesus Christ and how he lived.

No comments: