Monday, October 1, 2018

Last Day at Cherry Tree

Sadly, Dr. Preston whom I have worked for at his Family Practice office for 9 years got diagnosed with ALS/Lou Gehrig’s Disease this year.  It’s been so hard to watch his health deteriorate.  Because of his declining health, he sold his practice this year to another Family Practice group in town.  They took over Cherry Tree Family Practice on October 1st of this year.  And without much warning they left me know on my last day of work when it was over that it would be my last day.  I understood why they wouldn’t want to keep a silly girl like me working just one half day a week, but I was still sad to say goodbye to office staff and patients that I had worked with for almost a decade.  Dr. Preston arranged and paid for all the Cherry tree staff and providers to have one last farewell dinner together at Brick Oven Pizza.  

It was nice to have a proper night to visit and say goodbye to everyone.  
I miss working in family practice and all the people.  And now, with the boys in kindergarten and me not working in family practice, I found myself with Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday AMs home without the kids.  People keep asking me if I am going to pick up more surgery shifts with the extra free days I have, but I think I will wait until the boys are in 1st grade and gone the whole day rather than just half the day.  It was daunting at first to have 3 mornings alone in the house without the kids, but I have managed to fill and even over fill the time.  Tuesday mornings I usually go on a hike with Annie and other neighborhood ladies, Wednesday morning I often hit the temple, and Thursday mornings I volunteer in the boys classroom.  And, I am more free and available to go on school field trips and help with classroom parties which has been fun.


No comments: