Friday, December 29, 2017

Ringing in the New Year in St. George

The first thing I did when we got to St. George was follow my kids a few doors down to my Mom’s neighbor’s who has this elaborate train set up in his garage.  He put conductor hats on each of the kids and ran each train set for them to see.  
Then, he gifted them each a little wooden car from The Happiness Factory which I guess is a local company that makes wooden cars to send to 3rd world countries.  Then, we went back to Mom’s, changed into our swim suits, and were off to the pool while Derek and George hit the gold course.  This was George’s very first official golf game, and Derek said he played well.  That evening the kids wanted to show us the Christmas lights around town again, so we drove around taking in the sights.  
Liv actually thought it was fun to stand in front of Babi and Papou’s project lights.
 
Unfortunately, that evening Derek came down with this awful fever and sore throat.  We are guessing strep and after looking in his throat the next day, I called in an antibiotic for him.  He spent the night fevering.  The next morning, Mom and I had appointments massages at the Red Mountain Resort and Spa, so poor George got left alone with all 3 kids, the dog, and a very sick Derek.  The spa was wonderful, we spent some time in the steam room, and enjoyed sitting in the relaxation room on some comfy chairs overlooking some beautiful red rock scenery.  I wanted to take a picture but there was a sign requesting the absence of all cell phones to maintain a feeling of tranquility.  The massage was great and then afterwards we had lunch there.  I loved the food.  It was buffet style and a ton of healthy type salads and soups.  George was a warrior.  He took all 3 kids and the dog by himself on a long walk in the BLM land.  He said every 10 minutes he had to stop to pull pokies out of the kids shoes and the kids told me he had to carry London over a cattle grate, I think he was a bit frazzled by the end of it.  Nonetheless, the fought them all into the car and met me at Pioneer Park.  The kids and I spent 45 minutes by ourselves climbing all over which I was a little afraid would be a little overwhelming and frightening, but they all stayed close by and it went down without a hitch.  The kids kept asking me to take their picture, so I have a million. 


 Liv thought all the rock reminded her of the pride rock from her lion king stage and thus posed in every picture as a lion.  After an hour or so, the Pendleton’s met up with us and introduced us to The Crack which was this teeny narrow slot canyon you can climb through.  
I was only a little panicky the whole time.  We got to the start of the narrowing and I wasn’t sure I could do it, but Carly assured me it wasn’t as bad as it looked, but it was.  The walls were literally touching me in the front and back it was all I could do to just keep going and breathe and not pass out due to panic.  The kids thought it was cool.  
We ended up spending 2 hours at Pioneer Park!  It really is a cool place.  
That night we hung at the house, gave all the kids baths, had a great salmon dinner which everyone but Camden enjoyed.  After we got the kids in bed, Derek and I played Mexican Train with George and Mom.

The next morning, I got up and went to church alone with the kids.  We drove the golf cart to the church house, which the kids thought was awesome.  They were actually pretty good during sacrament, and luckily we found a seat in the back instead of the front.  They were so excited to go to primary in a different ward.  The primary in that ward is only one hour and my kids and one other family of kids were the only ones in the primary room.  They took pictures of the kids for a bulletin board where they post pictures of all the primary kids that come to visit and said next time they came, they would find their pictures on the board.  They also plan to send a post card of some sorts to the kids.  The kids loved it and can’t wait to come back.

After church, the Thorsteds, who were also in St. George, came over for lunch.  Then they took us out to glitter mountain which is a huge gypsum mine.  All the kids were having a blast chipping away and filling their own little bags full of gypsum crystals when the owner of the mine showed up and kindly asked us to refrain from that…ooops!  
Next, we found the Warner Valley Dinosaur tracks close by.  On the bumpy dirt road drive out there, both boys fell asleep on Ander.  
But they woke up excited to see the dinosaur tracks.  The kids thought it was kind of neat to find real dinosaur footprints in the ground and London just loved all the off leash exploring. 
Then, we went back to Babi and Papou’s where everyone was excited to find Uncle Nathan and Aunt Benair.  We had a great prime rib dinner, and then had a little New Years Dance party DJed by Derek.  Once everyone was tired out, we put on a Netflix kids countdown everyone pulled poppers and we put the kids to bed at 9pm on New Years Eve.  Then, we played Mexican Train with Nay and Benz and they introduced us to Sushi Go which was totally fun, and we played that until the clocks turned to the New Year.  Then, it was off to bed.  I woke up all congested and with pink eye and my L eye glued shut.  We had a breakfast, then packed up while the kids played hide and go seek with Uncle Nathan and Benazir.  Then, we were on the road again.  Here’s to 2018!

No comments: