Here's Olivia's cute outfit of the day.
Okay...confession time. I remember talking to my good friend Crystal a while ago and she was telling me how taking her kids to the doctor to get shots was like the most traumatic thing for her and that I'd see when I had my own and feel the same way. Now I, the PA, who has given vaccine upon vaccine and drawn blood and PKUs and all sorts of other torturesome things to kids thought she was insane. Perhaps it affected her in that way, but I certainly would have no trouble when my time came because of all the exposure I had to it previously. Right? WRONG!
So today, Derek and I take little Livie to get her bilirubin levels rechecked at the hospital. They basically poke her little heal and have to keep squeezing it to fill up this little vial of blood. No biggie, and I was not worried about it at all. Then, they poked her and kept squeezing and she screamed and screamed. I was still totally fine until I saw the first tears I had ever seen rolling down my sweet baby girl's cheeks. I mean she cries now and again at home, but I have yet to see tears. Anyways, those tears rolled down her cheeks and seconds later tears are rolling down my cheeks. Derek is hugging me and trying to console me. They finish and we get Livie back in the car and she pretty much falls asleep, but I cried the whole way home. Derek thought it was hilarious that Livie, who was now obviously unfazed, was just fine, and I cried for 20 minutes over the whole ordeal. I'd like to blame it all on lack of sleep and hormones gone crazy, but I also was shocked at my strong emotional reaction to seeing my little baby girl experience pain.
In other momentous news, Livie had her first stroll today. We thought we'd get a little sun on that skin to help decrease her jaundice, which really isn't too bad, but it was a nice day so we took advantage.
9 comments:
Dallin was jaundiced. He had to spend all his time (the exception made for feedings) in a lightbox for a couple days. I lost count of how many times I took him to the hospital to have his foot pricked and bled. It gets easier. Or maybe I'm just hard hearted.... :)
I am sorry that I found your crying story so funny. Maybe because I know all too well how much it breaks your heart for your child to hurt and I just love that you get it now. These experiences and feelings are impossible to fully describe (even though you did a great job) until you are there with your own baby. And it is totally normal to take a picture for each new outfit. Eventually when you have to recycle outfits the picture taking will slow down.
She is ADORABLE!!! Congrats! Congrats! I can't believe she stayed in you so long and you NEVER grew! Little Livie ended up being a decent size though, so that's all that's important. As for the outfits and pictures, yes, it lasts a long while! After you've finally got pictures in all the newborn outfits, you will be ready to move to 0-3 and get pictures of all of those, and the cycle continues for pretty much the first 18 months until they don't grow so rapidly. It's the best!!
I love that even the PA was traumatized by the PKU experience. Just know a lot of it is the hormones! Congrats! Congrats! I am so happy for you guys!!
She is adorable Chelsea. Congratulations to you both.
You guys are the cutest new parents.
Not so fun when it's your own kid, huh? Shots are the worst, seeing your child in pain is definitely one of the hardest things about parenting. You handled it like a champ though!
She's adorable, keep those pics coming!
Congrats congrats!- I haven't checked your blog in a while for the same reasons- new baby and all and trying to juggle a 3 year old too. Isn't it fun though! I know everyone says this but they really do grow way too fast. She is adorable. Congrats again and welcome to the Mommy club!
Congratulaions!!! I am so happy for you both...I love that Derek was trying to give her a "bump" free ride! All too soon he will be throwing her up in the air--probably a little too high for your comfort level:) Try and get some sleep while you have your mum!XOXO to little Miss O!
What a little miracle, I could not be happier for you:)
Ah I love you guys!!!!! Hilarious that Derek took it so slow in the stroller. Love that you cried with the shots too Miss PA. :) Oh man I just need to meet this baby girl and see you two in action! I'm so glad things are going well!
Post a Comment