Saturday, May 17, 2008

She/He Did it!!!

Today, Derek graduated from law school! He is officially done. And I, finished my last day of my last rotation on Thursday. We have Derek's parents, his sister, and our 19 year old nephew all staying in our 2 BR/1 bathroom apartment until Monday. EEEK! Hopefully things will quiet down around here then so I can get reacquainted with all your blogs.

We started out the day with a visit to Eugene's Saturday's market to give Derek's family a true taste of what it means to be a Eugenean. Taylor (our nephew) was quite interested with the tie-dye toilet paper. (That's right, the hippees in Eugene even tie-dye their toilet paper.) Then, after deciding to skip the food at Tofu Palace and listening to a girl on the soap box talk about how we should make love and not war he kindly asked if we were glad to be leaving this place soon. To which I honestly replied that I was actually very sad to be leaving. I mean where am I going to get my tie-dye toilet paper in NYC? And, though it was like 90 something degrees and I was wearing a skirt and heels I still managed to take free hippee hoola lessons.
Then, we got some lunch at Wendy's which seemed a much safer choice to my nephew and headed to the Hult Center for Derek's graduation ceremony. The ceremony was very nice except for one speaker who felt it his time to time take 30 whole minutes to tell us exactly how he felt of "this presidential administration." I believe he said something like Thomas Jefferson would be thoroughly disappointed and Benjamin Franklin would take off his spectacles in disapproval of this presidential administration. Whatever that means. I was ready to take of my spectacles (or maybe my shoe and throw it at him) in disapproval of his well over 45 minute speech.

After the ceremony, it was the boys' photo shoot time. They were all sweating bullets in their velvet gowns (or dresses as Derek referred to them). We had a hard time rounding up all the boys, but this is who we did manage to pin down. Some did not leave their gowns on long enough for a picture as you can see.
And the girls...
Post-graduation ceremony the whole fam headed to Red Robin for Derek's graduation dinner celebration (his choice of course). Then, we came back to our place for some cake. Here Derek's graduation cake courtesy of his Mother and Sister Steph.
As for me, I survived another 6 week rotation at Salem Hospital. I am officially done commuting and so glad to not have to do that hour drive up and back any more! This was a rotation filled with delirious elderly patients. My favorite story was one of an old lady who honestly thought there was a fire in the hospital one night and tried to pull all the other patients with their unstable gaits out of bed and rescue them to safety. Then, there was this little old lady who liked to strip down every five minutes. You'd help her get dressed and not 5 minutes later there she was on her bed lying buck naked again. There was another poor woman who had no clue where she was. She thought people had accused her of stealing at the nursing facility she lived in and that she had been taken away to jail. When I asked her if she was having any chest pain, she told me she had never been in trouble with the law before and would like to talk to her lawyer. And lastly, I was thrilled when a little gypsy lady we took care of told me where to find her palm reading shop in Salem and said that because I took such great care of her she would read my palm for free.

Anyways, just wanted to let you all know that we did it! And, now we'll hopefully have more time to see what you all have been up to.

19 comments:

Lizzy said...

Congrats to both of you guys! I bet it's so nice to be all done. I loved the graduation "gowns". It's like they spent all the money they make with law school tuition and instead of hosting more BBQs, they just added more lovely velvet to the gowns. Those things are bulky!

I love the rotation stories. Did you offer your husband as a possible attorney for the lady that wanted to talk to a lawyer? I hope when I'm old and senile I can at least be entertaining. Nothing like a stripping convict/hero palm reader (I would like to have all those awesome traits wrapped up in one).

ashley said...

I'm so sad I missed our last commute phone call! I almost called you Friday to congratulate you on the end of rotations, but didn't want to interrupt the family celebration time. So, way to go - you're done!!

And Derek looks real nice in a dress. Congrats to him, as well!

Becky said...

Man, that boy is obsessed with Red Robin. Congrats to you guys! I'm so happy that he's done, and that your last rotation is done! Can we go back to California and play again? Every time I see my pretty flower toes, I wish we could hang out again. Hope you survive the full house. By the way, how's your freezer looking these days?

Emily said...

Oh man Chelsea I am so proud of both of you guys! Way to go! I can't even imagine how hard the past 2 years have been...with school and commuting and all of that. AWESOME!

I remember those robes all too well.

Glad you made it to saturday market the day of graduation. We did the exact same thing last year. Man I miss that place.

Kristin said...

Congrats to you both! Hope you have an exciting time in The Big Apple. We'll always remember you as the nice couple that took us in like little stray puppies. But really, thanks again for all that you did for us, we are happy for you and wish you the best.

Tamara said...

In NYC our toilet paper has pictures of George Bush.

Aleena said...

Hooray! Congratulations! I am so glad that you are both done...on to the next adventure.

Lima Bean said...

I'm still sitting here laughing about your stories of the old people. I really don't want to get old! If I live in Oregon, I'm going to have you come and kill me before any of that senility sets in. It's legal, right?

You ladies all look so cute in that picture. I'm going to miss you all. It sucks when people have to move away.

The Giffs said...

HEY! I'm finally a blogger. I am so excited to read about your life. Stephanie has kept me up to date a little bit but I honestly feel so out of touch. Congrats on all of your successes! I'm excited for you to go to New York. I hope you love it as much as I do!

Ilene said...

CONGRATS! I remember when you decided to do PA school during Derek's first year of law school and thinking, "That Chelsea is crazy!"

Looks like all of the craziness paid off and that you left the crazy at the Salem hospital!

I wish I bought a tie dye onsie before we left town...

Tara Lee said...

YEAH! I am so happy they did it! It's so great to be done. The crappy part is moving away from each other. I'll miss ya!

Wendy said...

congrats chelsea and derek- you guys are awesome! so i was wondering what the old lady saw in your palm....

Jen said...

Woo Hoo!! That is so great! Congrats to you both. I love the Hula pics by the way. So now you have to come over everyday because I am getting SO BORED!!! And you no longer have any excuses!!!!

Jeff said...

Congratulations to the both of you. I'm happy to hear that the beast of law school is over, and that your practice is going well Chelsea.

Alifinale said...

Busy busy time for the Marshalls. Glad you got to show off Saturday Market...man I miss that! Congrats to both you and Derek! And I love your last rotation stories - I can't believe that old lady was so quick to undress. Imagine what she was like when she was younger and with a rockin' bod!

Kari Ann said...

Congrats to both of you! What an accomplishment for you both!

Patrick and Crystal said...

Wow chels you're finally done! Do you even know what to do with yourself now that you and Derek aren't swamped with homework? Congratulations to both of you and i'm so glad you included pictures this time (Derek in that velvet robe really put a smile on my face:)

Mary said...

Yeah on graduation! And seriously Chelsea . . . how do you not just laugh out loud or want to kick out those patients? Ahhh!

LeaAnne said...

YAY for the FAM!
I know you really will miss the pot smell at the market the most right?? :)
There will be such neat adventures in NYC.. I bet they have their own cool TP!