
Let me start at the beginning. I never really used to watch tv. Mainly because I didn't think I had the time. And, if I did have the time, there were plenty of other things I would have rather been doing. I didn't have any "shows." I didn't even know what was going on in the "shows." I heard rumors about American Idol, The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate House Wives, Gilmore Girls, and the list goes on.
Then, I started PA school. I was driving an hour to and from school every day. I was in class from 8-5 every day. Plus, I was coming home and studying 2-3 more hours each night on top of that. Sadly, my weekends were devoted to studying as well. I was busier and more mentally exhausted than I had probably ever been in my life. So, it would seem odd that this year of all years I finally discovered "the shows."
And, the reason was this. I was mentally exhausted like I said. I needed a break. And, when I needed a break, I couldn't read, I couldn't exercise, and I definately didn't want to get in the car that I practically lived in that year to go anywhere. So, I turned to tv. All I had to do was sit there. I didn't have to think. I could get lost in the world of Grey's Anatomy, the Gilmore Girls, or the show that spurred this post, OCTOBER ROAD, and completely forget about my Internal Medicine test that I should have been studying for.
This year I'm back to my non-tv watching self because, well, the year of driving all day and studying my brains out for exams is over (YES!!!). Plus, Gilmore Girls ended which I am still mourning over. Anyways, I'm a non-tv watcher now except for October Road that is. And, while all of you have been blogging about how you can't wait for the writer's strike to end. I have been happily watching yet another new episode of October Road every week. I don't know if they just had a lot more pre-recored episodes or what, but, this show has not really suffered from the writer's strike yet.
And, for those of you who have not caught on to this show. You totally should. It's funny, it's got great characters, awesome music, an interesting storyline, and it's totally addictive. Derek has even allowed me to call October Road "our show." And, I can get him to watch it with me every week. He even watched it when I was away in Ohio. I love having a show that we watch together! We've never really had one before. It's kind of fun.
One of my favorite parts of this show, which I feel I can mention without giving too much away, is that there are these 5 guys, who have been friends forever. Anyways, they have this band. Each of them plays a different instrument, or does vocals or something. But, their instruments are things like a tennis racket for the guitar, a hairbrush for the microphone, etc. And, they totally lip sing all their songs to someone else's music. But, they are so serious about it. And, it truly is hillarious, but maybe it doesn't sound that way from my description. Anyways, if you are tired of yet another Grey's Anatomy re-run. Prehaps you should check out October Road or watch the episodes online. They should put a link to my blog on the October Road web page. It's funny. I never thought that I, the girl without any "shows," would have a "show" that I would eventually dedicate an entire blog to.
9 comments:
Chelsea, I hear ya. I never got into any of the shows becuase I'm kind of picky with them. I have actually been into American Idol a bit more this season since Jared has been at the house late during the week. Also, you know Ed Hermann from Gilmore Girls? His wife is a patient of ours & she was just in yesterday. just FYI.
I'm reading a lot more so I guess there are some writers out there happy about the writer's strike...
I'm just glad the Lost episodes are ready to start next week.
Netflix has been our solution. We didn't watch much TV before so we are more than happy to watch whole seasons at a time through them. It's only like $6 a month and you can watch as much PC TV as you want. It's addicting. We just finished Dr. House, Monk, and Doctor Who and now we're on to the Office. And I wonder why I'm not losing any weight!
Glad you finally found the love and realize how great it is to have a show. I have like 50 shows. I have tried watching this one and it does seem cute but I can't get into it since I have only seen parts and don't know the storyline.
Do they also play a plastic guitar and a plastic set of drums? It not I am not sure I can watch. I mean only cool people play plastic instruments.. at home.. on a friday night.
Ahem, what was I saying?
Oh yes looks like a cute show I will have to give it a chance sometime.
So... You could probably guess this but- I totally love October Road too and have seen every episode. Love Pizza girl.
and I don't know if it's a good thing but I take a little credit for getting you hooked on a show :)
I will have to check it out. I have never watched any shows. I can't commit to watch everyweek, so I don't ever know what is going on. But because you dedicated a post to October Road I am going to watch it!
I've never heard of it. We'll have to watch it sometime. I've been suffering along with everyone else! I need THE OFFICE back in my life!
Thanks Chelsea, I'm totally going to watch it online...I've seen previews for it, but it's probably on at the same time as another show I watch.
LOST IS BACK TONIGHT!!!!!!
Post a Comment