Last Saturday, I was forced "out of the closet." We were at Autzen Stadium watching the Ducks totally beat USC (which was awesome by the way). It was half time, and I can remember the day exactly. It was perfect weather, the smell of marijuana was in the air, I was sitting next to Derek, and Raleigh was right behind us. The band was on the field marching their little hearts out, and I sort of leaned over to Derek and said, "I don't get the point of having the marching band on the field at half time every game because nobody even watches them." He then (with more volume than I would have liked) asked, "weren't you in the marching band in high school?" Raleigh kindly said, "I didn't know you were in the band." Then, Derek follows with, "yeah, she went to band camp and everything."Thanks Derek. I was trying to keep this on the "down low." But, it's no use now. Yes, I was in the band. But, to my defense only up until 9th grade (and my 9th grade was at the middle school, so it was technically only in middle school). I played the french horn, and actually really enjoyed it. I wore the outfits, the tall hats with the feather, and even marched in some competitions. I was actually the drum major (the leader of the band) in 8th grade at the middle school (I actually enjoyed blowing the whistle and shouting "LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT! RIGHT!-- the ultimate dork, I know). And yes, I went to band camp. But, I blame my mother entirely for this. She convinced me it was cool. Raleigh asked if I had a boyfriend at band camp. And, I sort of did. I'm totally coming out of the closet here. I may as well admit it.
As I have blogged before, I was also a cross-country runner. And, running was my real passion. I loved the concert season of band, and really loved the french horn. Still do (although I no longer play). I think it is a beautiful instrument, and it's always my favorite in any symphonic music. However, as the years un-folded in my life, I came to hate marching. I hated the way my arms would shake as I tried to hold that dang marching horn up parallel to my head for hours on end. I began to hate marching in perfect rows, always to the beat of the music. I hated having to dress in those rediculous outfits, and sit with the band at the football games. And mainly, I hated that my band director would not let me miss band practice for my cross-country meets or practices.
So, I decided to quit. I had had it! I asked if I could just play in the band during the concert season and not have to march. He said no. I had to either be all or nothing. So, I decided to be all out! I guess you could say that my saving grace to my high school reputation was that I chose cross-country over band. I still at times, get angry that my band instructor would not let me play in just concert season. Because I really did love playing the french horn. I loved the classical music...well, all music if it had a part for the french horn. Anyways, there you have it. I'm officially out of the closet. I was a band geek in middle school (at least I can say that...good thing I got out when I did).
17 comments:
Chels, I keep on finding out we have more and more in common! I was in band also, but I am far more uncool than you because I played through high school. Our school didn't have a marching band, but we did have to march in the parade every year (I was the drum major for a year also) and we did have to play at football games. I feel your pain. I don't think you're a dork though. It just makes you cultured and well-rounded (at least that's what I tell myself!)
Chel how long have I known you and I didn't know about this??? You really are good at keeping things in the closet! Next you'll be blogging about the bra bandits, and I do know about that one, so please don't!
Seriously! I can't believe you have never told me this. I mean I'm not sure I can be friends with a band geek!
Totally kidding. I can't help laughing though when I think of you wearing one of those hats. That's just awesome!
Chelsea I was in the band and the orchestra in middle school...and you think you were dorky. haha I also played the french horn, and I loved it too! I was also a cheerleader and the dumb band instructor wouldn't let me march with the cheerleaders, I had to march with the band in the ugly outfits. I hated it!
Chel, I knew you played the french horn! But, did you know that Josh did, too?? You guys can be anatomy and band geeks together.
I will still be your friend Chelsea. You are no less cool to me now that I know about your band camp days.
I was a tad bit scared when I saw your Title of the post...and then the picture of the marching band. I thought for sure it was about something else...
Oh Chels! I actually REMEMBER those days, and you were quite the geek. :) I remember far geekier things too....but then again you know my geekiness as well - so we'll do each other a favor and keep those things in the closet!
Actually, I was just thinking - didn't we play some sort of duet with the piano and the french horn at a ward Christmas party one year? I think we did Carol of the Bells or something - do you remember that?
Thanks for finally coming out Chelsea. I am also a band nerd, and stayed with it all through high school and even some college (kind of!) Love the french horn . . .
Well, I hate to share this tidbit, but I was in the marching band in junior high too. My instrument was a little cooler though...I was in the drum line. But, I did try out for the drum major position (and didn't make it). If I didn't get into volleyball so heavily, I probably would have stayed in the band in high school, but at my high school it was kinda cool to be in the band, especially in the drum line. But I never did go to band camp...dork!!
I love the french horn! you should be proud - especially now that you are out in the open. we saw the NOtre Dame marching band on campus yesterday. it looks really hard! I don't know how you can play music and march in formation at the same time. it's hard enough for me to get the notes right.
Its okay Chelsea. My husband was a band nerd for a few years of high school--nothing to be ashamed of. =)
Band Goobies are cool. But not as cool as the colorguard girls.
I'm glad I could help you come to terms with your marching band issue. You've been running from your past for too long. I think there are support groups for this.
Chels, I am afraid to say...I am not all that surprised. You always had a "Marching Band in JH" feel about you. Glad to know why! I love that story. And I love that having been in the band you still think having them on at half time is stupid. You are so funny!
Be proud of your band history! Don't let Derek give you a hard time, he is just jealous because he can't play I am sure. I wish I could play any sort of instrument other than my attempt at the piano.
Post a Comment