Friday, November 30, 2007

My Thanksgiving

I finally replaced the battery in my camera so I could post pictures of my Thanksgiving. Is it too late? Is everyone tired of reading about Thanksgiving? Too bad! Derek came in to town for Thanksgiving, and it was great to see him. He flew into Columbus and then Lexie (my roomie) and I picked him up from the airport and we all drove up to Chicago to spend Thanksgiving with my Mom and her fiancee. Actual Thanksgiving was somewhat interesting because George (my mother's fiancee) is Czech/Greek, so some of the food wasn't your traditional thanksgiving food. For example, we had sour kraut and dumplings. Has anyone else ever had that for thanksgiving?!? It was a great experience none the less, and spending the day with his family I couldn't help but think that his family was just like the family in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Honestly, it was hillarious. I forgot to take pictures of the food (sad), but I got a picture with my Mom, George (her fiancee), Derek, and I after eating all the food. Notice protruding bellies below.
That wasn't the best picture of my mother, so here's take II with my roomate Lexie and excluding the boys.
My mother called me on my cell phone from upstair multiple mornings and made me do some sort of rediculous exercise video with her. When I quit answering my phone, she just called Derek's. Much more to my liking, George, Derek, and I of course went on the much required Thanksgiving morning run in order to stuff as much food as possible in our bellies without feeling too bad about ourselves. Unfortunately, it was freezing in Chicago. In fact, it snowed the night before Thanksgiving. So, here we are all dressed up for our own gobble trot. Please excuse the ugly smile on my face. I didn't really feel like having my picture taken at the moment.
One day, Derek, Lexie, and I headed down town in hopes to see millennium park and the art museum. To our disappointment, it rained all day (it felt like home in Oregon only colder), so we didn't see much of millennium park. However, the art museum was awesome because they had so much famous art work (Monet, Manet, Degas, Van Gogh, Picasso, the American Gothic is there, Sunday Afternoon at the Park)...it was great! After the art museum, it was still pouring, so we walked over to the Macy's (what used to be Marshall Fields) and saw the window displays for Christmas. This year it was the story of the Nutcracker. We went to FAO Schwartz where they had all these huge stuffed animals. It looked like a stuffed animal zoo.
I wanted to go sit on Santa's lap, but Lexie and Derek wouldn't let me! And since it was still pouring at this point, we walked down the street for some hot chocolate. Afterwards, we went to see Blue Man Group which was definately an experience. We sat in the back row which made us the toilet paper crew (if you've seen Blue Man Group you know what that means). It was definately a weird show, but entertaining nonetheless. Here we are trying to warm up after tramping around downtown Chicago in the rain.
Also one day we went to Northwestern's campus and walked around their island by lake Michigan. Can anyone say...FREEZING?!? Here we are bundled up, sitting on a freezing cold bench, and if you look in the distance you can see the Chicago skyline.
Another highlight of the trip was getting together with my dear roomate Ashley and our friend Alissa who went to London with us. We had a fabulous time chatting the night away. It was great to see you guys! And, why didn't we take pictures?

Now, I am back in the ER suturing away at those who hack their fingers open with whatever sharp object is in the way (just to keep me entertained I'm sure). I had a boy come in the other day who had caught his earring on the door of her car when he was getting in and this not only pulled the earring out, but also a pretty good chunk of his ear. I threw a couple stitches in there to help it heal. He had never had stitched before, and when I was done he said "thanks for taking away my stitches virginity!" I think he was just excited to say "virginity", but I thought it was sorta funny nonetheless. Also, I got to reduce a shoulder dislocation the other day. That was really fun! Just a pull and a clunk, and it was back in no problem. Tonight, is my last night on the night shift (thank goodness)!!! This is Chelsea Marshall signing out with a very belated GOBBLE GOBBLE!

11 comments:

ashley said...

We'll get pictures next time we're all in Chicago...

And we'll definitely need to take pictures at the roommate deal over Christmas!

Emily said...

That sounds like a way fun Thanksgiving! It's so cool that Derek came out there to see you! All of those pictures are really cool but it looks so cold, I think I would die.

Christi said...

Looks like you guys had a fun Thanksgiving. That is awesome Derek was able to come out and see you. Glad you are having a good time!

Heather said...

Chelsea I am so proud of you for getting pictures! You look so cute in all of them. Have you put your honeymoon pictures onto a computer yet so you can erase them? I'm happy you had a good Thanksgiving and got to see Derek and your family :)

Alifinale said...

What a great trip! I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding - sounds like a funny family. You look so much like your mom! Glad you had fun and got to see your honey.

Ilene said...

Love Chicago! My parents live in the west suburbs.

I was there for Christmas a couple of years back and figured out cold winters plus "windy city" means really cold weather. Didn't like that much.

Glad you had fun and got to see Derek!

Aleena said...

I am glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I actually would love to have had some different types of food at Thanksgiving, that would be fun! You look terrific. We wish you would come visit us in Vegas.

Aleena said...

Chelsea I am so glad that you are coming to the game! When are you guys getting in? Do you need a place to stay?

Tara said...

Hilarious Chelsea! I especially love the gobble gobble at the end. I am really missing you around here! it is finals time and I am one lonely chick. Can't you cut this whole rotation thing short and come play??

Kari Ann said...

Christmas in Chicago...how fun! You are so beautiful Chels! Tell Derek 'hi' and enjoy all your eventful medical treatments.

Anonymous said...

Hi Derek and Chelsea...how you guys doing? Chelsea I just love your stories you put on your blog, you always have me crackin up! I need to get your address so I can send you a christmas card. Can you email it to me at Lyman_54@hotmail.com? Thanks!