
So, I made it! This is where I will live for the next 6 weeks. It's teeny, but sorta cute. And, I must say that finding this place in the dark was quite the feat. When I pulled up, like 5 cats and 4 dogs came trotting up to me. So, I have friends. I tried to take some pictures so you guys can get an idea of what the place is like, but I'm not sure how well you will be able to tell from the pictures.
I woke up Sunday morning, and went to church with my preceptor's family (they are a very nice Mormon family, and their kids are hillarious). As we drove to church, I decided I just might survive these 6 weeks. It is gorgeous out here!!! All the trees are golden yellows and reds. There are rolling hills. And all the houses out here are these totally adorable country farm houses set on lots of land with huge long driveways. This is the entrance to the ranch I live on. It's so much prettier in real life.

This is my next door neighbor whom I realized was just outside my cabin all night, but I didn't notice when I pulled up because it was totally dark.

This cabin is actually on the same property as my precepting doctor. This is a picture of his house just up the hill from my cabin. As you can see, I live in shackles compared to thier set up.

Here are the pictures from inside the cabin. It is just one little room with a kitchen, dining area, and living room area that all kind of run together. Over the kitchen is a little loft with our beds. There is also a little bathroom. First, is the view from the front door. Note little tv in the corner. I turned it on to see what sort of channels you get in a teeny tiny cabin. And low and behold, he has direct tv with hundreds of channels (my husband would be in heaven).

Turn to the left, and this is what you see.

And, climb up a pretty steep ladder to get to the loft above the kitchen which is home to two twin size (and very uncomfortable) air matresses (I haven't had one good night of sleep yet). The loft has a very low ceiling. You definately can't stand up in it. I have two fears. One, that I wake up startled from the alarm and bump my head on the ceiling (if I sat up in bed this would happen--that's how low the ceiling is). And two, that I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall down the ladder (luckily, if this happens we know all to well where the ER is). Off to the right is the bathroom which is very small, and the hot water in the shower runs out very quickly. I tried to shave my legs for church on Sunday...I don't think I'll attempt that again for the rest of this rotation.

In other news, I found an awesome park with miles and miles of trails to run on. The whole thing has rolling hills and gorgeous trees lining the paths with yellow leaves just starting to cover the trails as they fall. I wanted to take a picture, but I haven't yet, so you'll just have to imagine it. I will be sad to leave these running trails. All in all, this town is a place I probably could live in forever, but I am so thrilled to get to live here for 6 weeks!
I'm sure you are all getting tired of reading my babble. However, I have to tell you about my first NIGHT (that's right I'm working the 7pm- 6am shift how...I am not sure) in the ER. I have been dreading working night shifts; however, I was surprised how easy it was. It totally brought back memories from freshman year of college-- I think that was the last time I pulled an all nighter.
Anyways, last night (first night there) I got to stitch two open wounds closed which was exciting. And, I'm not sure if this next thing was exciting, but it was definately a new experience. (Those of you with weak stomachs may just want to pass over this part). A lady came in with SEVERE constipation. She had impacted stool all through her whole colon. She had taken a bunch of laxatives and stool softeners with no result, and she was in pain! So, me being the PA student (and thus, lower on the totem pole than the ER doc I was working for that night)...I got to dig out this impacted stool with my finger. Nothing like digging out someone's impacted stool at 3 o'clock in the morning. It definately woke me up a bit. But, it could have definately been worse. I never thought that when I was going to work that night I would be grateful for this aweful cold and stuffy nose I currently have, but I certainly was. I dug out more poo than you thought could come out of one person and didn't smell a thing! There's always something to be thankful for!
15 comments:
The cabin looks cozy, the scenery looks wonderful, and the impacted poo is DISGUSTING! Unbelievable, sometimes your life is unbelievable!
Love the pictures (you're geting so good at posting pics! good job), and that's some pretty nice furniture...
I love your stories. Keep 'em coming.
Chels, only you could make something as disgusting as pulling poo out of an impacted colon at three a.m. hilarious. Thank goodness for a stuffy nose! You are totally entertaining as always. You've made me smile since the day I met you. Love you, "The Mom" Palmer
Holy cow! Where in the world did they send you? Hickville USA? I'm surprised you didn't practice more primitive medicine like bleeding and amputations.
OK **Only Chelsea should read this next part** It's a medical thing...
So Izabella was seriously constipated one time and Tygh and I had to crouch her down in a birthing position and apply KY Jelly to her bum hole and use a butter knife to break up the baseball sized poop. It was terrible. The poor advice nurse had to listen to Izabella scream in the background while I sobbingly repeated her instructions to Tygh. I never ever want to do that again!
What was the lady doing while you were gutting her? Do you make small talk... "So, the funniest thing happened to me today on the way to work."
What an experience. The house reminds me of Patch Adams. Good luck! It is gorgeous!
First of all the cabin looks awesome but I would seriously be on the look out for spiders. Secondly the area looks beautiful! I'm glad you like it so far.
And Third I can't believe you had to dig out someone's shi. My sister had to do that once (the nurse) and I remember thinking that something like that (whether I was the patient or the poop digger) would seriously scar me for life.
I miss you!
OH MY GOSH! I had to read that story out loud to Alex and let's just say that my lunch has already been eaten. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have been able to finish it. It looks gorgeous out there. I've been to Ohio this time of year, and everywhere you look is just green and gorgeous. Thanks for the retelling of your adventures!
I'm so glad you posted pictures! How cool. It all looks like something out of a movie. Nothing like digging out poop. Luckily, when I was training, I never had to do the digging myself, I've only had to watch the blessed event. But stitches are superfun! Do you like ER? Is there as many drug seekers as there are in OR? Anyway, glad you made it and everything went smooth! We miss you!
It looks gorgeous! I am glad that you are liking the place. I like Ohio.
I can't believe that you had to pull out someone's poo!!!! I agree with Ilene what do you say?? If I was that lady I would be so embarrassed I don't know what I would do!!!!!
I am so glad you posted pics! What a cute little cabin and beautiful surroundings. Very cozy! The ER sounds...interesting...I can't wait to hear more of your nasty stories.
I can't believe they shipped you out to a cabin in the middle of nowhere. It kind of reminds me of a cabin you'd read about in a mystery book. And you drove there in the dark. Kind of spooky! Maybe it's a good think you're working the night shift. Or maybe I just have a way too active imagination?
Your schooling is definitely different than mine. Not the whole impacting stool part, unfortunately I've been doing that for years. I can't believe they put you up in some Cabin what looks like the middle of nowhere. Crazy but I love hearing your stories.
Love the cabin! I could totally hang out there for 6 weeks...especially after a long night of poop digging. GROSS!! I'll have to share that one with Marcus and Jason Salden...you know they love a good story, especially dealing with poo. I'm glad you're having...fun? Miss you tons and I'll post pics of my kids soon.
It is beautiful there. At least while you are there you'll have great scenery. My blog is now private, so if you want to looky-loo you'll have to send me your email address so I can invite you! Email me at mlblanch@asu.edu
Post a Comment