Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ortho Rotation


I just realized that I haven't really blogged about my most recent rotation. I'm currently doing my orthopedic surgery rotation. I had sort of been dreading it to tell you the truth. I had decided prior to this rotation that surgery wasn't for me. The surgeries I had previously scrubed in on were very long with a lot of standing and patiently dissecting away fascia (fat) layers to remove whatever you were trying to remove or repair whatever you were trying to repair. And, most surgeries are done with scopes (cameras) these days, so you are really watching a screen the whole time instead of really (and excuse my graphic language) cutting someone open for a good look inside (that would be much more exciting). Plus, I love to talk to people (as you all know), and in surgery your patients are asleep...not really my idea of a doctor-patient relationship (or PA-patient relationship).

I had heard all the stereotypes of orthopedic surgeons. They are surgeons because they prefer their patients asleep. It is definately the "boys club." This could be because their surgical tools consist of mainly things you would think belong in a tool box in the garage (power drills, screws, screwdrivers, malets, etc). I was warned if I didn't know the latest sports excitement that I would never be able to connect and probably never be taken seriously in surgery. Plus, orthopedic surgeons think they walk on water. We were taught in school never to enter a room in front of the doctor, you always follow them in. When they walk in the room, it's "yes Doctor", "How can I help you Doctor." They are always right, they are the most skilled surgeons on the block, and everyone best do what they say and not get in their way in the process. I was honestly scared for day one of this rotation.

Luckily, the doctor I am working with is a lot of fun. He can still be pretty intimidating in surgery sometimes when things are not going the way he wants. But, mostly he is a great teacher and very fun to work with. He is a trauma surgeon, so he mainly fixes really bad fractures. But, he also does knee arthroscopies, carpal tunnel releases, shoulder rotator cuff repairs, and stuff like that. I have decided that orthopedic surgery is much different than general surgery and the previous surgeries I had been in. They are usually much faster, much more open (that means big cuts in someone's leg so I can see everything), and just a lot of fun. It still baffles me to watch him take a power drill to someone's hip bone, but I love watching it! I do see how it can easily be seen the "boys club." Because some of these surgical techniques really do take some muscle strength. The guys love laughing at me attempt some of the techniques. For example, the other day they asked me to lift this fairly large man's leg for a good 15 minutes in surgery (I almost died). Nonetheless, even with my minimal sports knowledge and small muscles, I have been able to do a lot in surgery. I've been retracting, suctioning, drilling, and my favorite is getting to help with suturing at the end. I've been getting to do a lot of suturing.

In the clinic I am getting to inject a lot of shoulders and knees which is super fun. And, mainly I love taking patient histories because everyone has some great story. They come in with thier arm in a sling or on crutches, and I ask, "alright are you gonna tell me how you did this?" They usually get a sheepish look and explain they fell into their piano, got drunk at lunch and ran their work forklift into a wall, rolled a golf cart, or fell off their motorcycle going only 5 mph (to name a few). It's always some great story! Overall, I still think that Family Practice may be where I call home. But, I have really been enjoying this rotation a lot!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Ooh, that would be fun to hear how everyone got their injuries! I'm glad you're enjoying this rotation more than you thought!

Lindsay said...

I think I probably like these blog posts more than most people due to the fact that I am experiencing similar experiences. I start my clinical rotation again this next week. A little nervous but excited. I heard the same thing about surgeons but turns out to of my favorite MD's are General Surgeons. One is a woman that I was her personal nurse for a short time and I loved it. There might be a chance that I work with them when I am finished. And the whole saying "yes doctor" thing. We are now working WITH them not FOR them so that just needs to leave.

Ilene said...

It just baffles me that drills are used on bodies that are alive. I love to hear these stories and disgusted at the same time. I don't know how you can do it. I can't even hear the Joseph Smith story of his bone being removed from part of his leg without getting woozie.

I'm woozie right now.

I'm glad there are people like you to cut and hack at us!

Emily said...

I'm glad you're liking it..especially after you thought you wouldn't. I am glad there are people like you who love doing this kind of stuff Chelsea. I just can't see myself being excited to inject, cut, sew, or drill someone.

Those are some good storied by the way!

Tara said...

Chels you are hilarious and crazy, might I add. I get woozie too when I hear some of your stories of just holding "things" open. Sick!

Alifinale said...

WOW! That sounds exciting and very scary at the same time. You were born for this stuff and I love how much you love it.

Jen said...

Ortho is cool! I think anyway. I'm glad you're enjoying this rotation. The doctor makes all the difference in what kind of experience you have, so I'm glad this guy is nice to you!