Last year, (I confess) I did not make Derek a cake for his birthday. I know, I am an awful wife! I have an excuse and it is this... I personally do not like cake. I just don't. In fact, I always feel awkward at birthday parties because I really don't like cake (especially cake with lots of colored frosting...yuck). And, I sorta feel that it is rude to go to a birthday party and then not partake of "the birthday cake". So, I always take some, scrape off the frosting, and try to choke down the cake. Anyways because of my severe cake aversion, I naturally didn't think of making a cake for Derek's birthday last year. See, that's a good excuse right? Wrong! And those of you who know my husband are probably thinking...how could you not think of making Derek a cake on his birthday (I mean look at his giddy face holding that cake in the picture above). I know, I made a HUGE boo boo, and I'm sorry. There honey, I have now publicly apologized on my blog, so I think I can be off the hook now.
All year Derek has been making me feel so guilty for not making him a cake on his birthday last year. All he wanted this year was for me to make a cake for him. So, I did. I attempted to at least. I stink at making cakes. Well, all desserts actually. I just do not have this talent. So, here is a picture of me next to my completed cake, and I feel that my facial expression really shows the emotions I am feeling toward the cake.
And finally, this is a birthday card Derek got from my Grandma, and he liked it so much that he wanted me to post it on the blog for all to see. Totally perfect for Derek! My Grandma is the greatest!
21 comments:
The cake looks boootiful Chelsers. And Happy 27th to Derek! What an old man!
Chelsers - you freeze off warts? I've a got a few that need some help. We're going to Oregon for Christmas, maybe I can stop by and have you freeze some off..... :)
Holy cow, there are 4 pictures on one post! And not just a picture of some old hippies - no, no, 4 pictures that were taken with Chelsea and Derek's own camera, and they are even in the picture.
Whoa.
So proud.
Happy birthday Derek! So close to sharing with Aria and the twins...too bad. We hope you had a great day!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY D!!!! Sorry I didn't call I always forget that this is your birthday month. I have like twenty birthdays to remember and they are all family and I can't remember half of those. So you can be mad at me for not remembering it was your birthday. I didn't even call my sister and hers was on the 10th. I am the worst with dates, as long as I don't forget my wifes b-day and anniversary I should be able to make it through this life. Well Derek enjoy being 27.
Happy Birthday Derek. Good job on the on the cake! Looks like you guys had fun!
You realize that Derek is no longer in his mid-twenties. He's now in his late twenties! I had a hard time when I turned 27 because I felt that I officially became so old. Tell your old man congrats!
The cake was delish Chels.
And yes I am mad at you for posting that pic. Sheesh! Can I say extra tire??
happy birthday Derek! And Chelsea I am seriously impressed that the cake was not in a cake pan, as that is how all of my cakes are served. pretty good!!
Tara- stop looking at yourself in every picture! You are so vain.
Besides, everyone is looking at that BEAUTIFUL baby who looks just like hi s mom! So stop insulting his mamma okay?
Congrats on the cake, Chelsea! There are only so many cakes that I like and so I like to mix up birthday desserts. This year Dan requested milk shakes. I lucked out. Perhaps you can suggest it for his next birthday?
And yes, I realize that Drew's head is facing Tara's chest but the back of his head is still beautiful. Just like his mom.
Not like cake? That should be illegal. I love cake...and ice cream and cookies and all things baked. But good for you for making a cake you don't like. Costco makes delicious cakes, maybe that can be your new tradition.
Wish we could have been there to celebrate. And Tara, I was just thinking how great you looked and why is that the first pic I have seen of you since Drew's debute.
I'm with Alison, when I saw that picture I thought, "wow it's nice to see Tara..she looks great!
Okay sorry Chels...this is your blog. I guess we can still be friends even though you don't like cake. And, when you decide to make one, it's chocolate! GROSS!! But, if it's what the birthday boy wants...
Now he can't bug you all year for not making him a cake. You're a great wife!
Happy Birthday Derek!
Derek is one of a kind and I think that you are perfect for him. Your cake turned out great he should be very happy!!! Happy Birthday Derek!
Happy Birthday D! My kids are already almost as old as you...you better get started.
Nick
Happy Birthday Derek!!! Hey you two. How are ya? I'm glad to see some pictures on your blog... Chels, you are so stinking cute. Glad you are doing well... we ought to keep in touch:)
will you bake me a cake? that looks so yummy.
Happy Birthday to Derek, i love the cake, you should see my attempts at making Justin a cake. It is scary....
Happy Birthday Derek!!! Sorry its late I know but better late than never right??? The cake looks awesome no worries!!
I just wanted to say Hi to Chelsey and Happy Birthday to Derek. I went to high school with Derek and I got your blog through Kari Anne's blog. I think I met you along time ago at either a BYU game or it was stadium of fire. I just remember it being in the BYU stadium parking lot. Anyways, I use to hate cake too until I tried the Costco All American Chocolate. I still don't like other cake just that cake because it taste like a brownie fudgie type cake. So I understand
Happy Birthday Derek! Sounds like you had a great day, I love the cake!
Thanks for NOT inviting the McCabes!! Apparently we're not "friends" enough to share in birthdays. Yes, we were still in town at the time...punk. Happy Belated Birthday to Derek!! Miss y'all!! :)
Post a Comment